pixeltracker

A theory on the supposed robbery of Raul- Page 6

A theory on the supposed robbery of Raul

Jon
#125re: A theory on the supposed robbery of Raul
Posted: 6/14/07 at 12:00pm

Here's my theory:

Some people LOVED Raul'sperformance. Some HATED it.

Some LOVED DHP in Curtains. Most everyone else LIKED him a lot. I've yet to hear from anyone who HATED him.

I think there were just enough Tony voters who disliked Raul to cost him the award.

misschung
#126re: A theory on the supposed robbery of Raul
Posted: 6/14/07 at 12:05pm

I am definitely contributing to the beating of a four day dead horse, but I think thats possible.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#127re: A theory on the supposed robbery of Raul
Posted: 6/14/07 at 12:06pm

That's one of mine, too. One of the interesting things about Raul is that you either LOVE him or you HATE him. You rarely ever hear people say "oh, Raul was good," and just leave it at that. The opinions tend to be really strong one on extreme or the other. There was an interview really recently that dealt with this -- the way people either say he's brilliant or that he like, gives them a rash. But people are hardly ever just in the passive "I like him" territory. So with that in mind, Raul probably didn't get many of those default "oh, I dunno, this guy was good," votes. His gained AND lost votes were probably very definitive. DHP, on the other hand, could have gotten votes like that, where people were sort of on the fence, figured they liked his performance well enough, so why not vote for him?

You're all still making me tired. re: A theory on the supposed robbery of Raul

A work of art is an invitation to love.

SporkGoddess
#128re: A theory on the supposed robbery of Raul
Posted: 6/14/07 at 12:24pm

I always thought that Raul was a good singer, but if the Tonys performance was a true reflection of his singing, I agree that he has bad technique. His vibrato was all over the place. I have a fast vibrato myself, and even after over two years of voice lessons I still have to work to control it. I can't imagine having a fast vibrato, no voice lessons, and having to sing that very difficult and "belty" song every night.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

misschung
#129re: A theory on the supposed robbery of Raul
Posted: 6/14/07 at 12:27pm

I'm still tired from the show on Tuesday, lol.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

luvtheEmcee
#130re: A theory on the supposed robbery of Raul
Posted: 6/14/07 at 12:36pm

SporkGoddess, I think that's part of the problem. There's probably resistance to take this into consideration due to the foolish assumption that I legitimately think this guy can do no wrong (which I assure all of you is completely, totally untrue) -- but as someone who has seen him sing this score live many, many times, I don't think I've ever seen him look like he was pushing it the way he appeared to be on Sunday. It wasn't a good reflection of the norm. Frankly, I don't get why people have such a hard time grasping that, other than to blame it on some petty, childish resistance to believing anything that comes from a staunch supporter because it must be totally warped and deluded. I loved his performance. I did. But I can be critical of it, too, and there were moments at which the force behind his vibrato just sent it all over the place. I have no problem admitting that even I cringed a few times.

Edited for like ten typing errors.

Updated On: 6/14/07 at 12:36 PM

SporkGoddess
#131re: A theory on the supposed robbery of Raul
Posted: 6/14/07 at 12:39pm

I've considered that he may have just been nervous. When you're nervous, you lose a lot of your support, and that makes the vibrato go wonky. I experienced it last Saturday night when I sang karaoke.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

luvtheEmcee
#132re: A theory on the supposed robbery of Raul
Posted: 6/14/07 at 12:41pm

He looked nervous. When I saw the way his hands were shaking, I was like, "whoa, not good."

Videos