AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#200AP Review
Posted: 5/9/16 at 10:01am

brian1973 said: "Wee Thomas2 said: "Saw this on Saturday. Got to the TKTS booth just before 1:30, looking for a matinee and the board was full of options. No lines, so we went right up and asked what they had for this show and got 9th row center (next to folks in house seats). Show was fun, but it's got a bunch of problems. Benjamin Walker is very good (and easy on the eyes for the ladies) as Patrick Bateman, but his is the only character that is more than a caricature. Alice Ripley is a great actress but is totally wasted in 3 small roles in this show. Selling Out, is great, but I kept on hearing "Rolling in the Deep" as source material. The rest of the original songs are trite and non-memorable.

So basically you LOVED it? Haha

"

"

I gave it a B.  The sets and lighting were mostly amazing and fully deserving of their nominations and those raised the overall grade.  The projections were a bit overdone, I would like to see some of the choreography without all the flashing lights on the actors.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#201AP Review
Posted: 5/9/16 at 11:30am

I agree with the technical elements being the most impressive part of the show. It's especially a bummer that we no longer have sound categories, because it's really remarkable work. 

The score is appropriate if unremarkable outside of its stylistic choices. I think it's just not a very good adaptation. It doesn't even really embrace what dramatic development there is in a novel about an intentionally mostly-static character. 

vickster51
#202AP Review
Posted: 5/10/16 at 5:07pm

Hello! I've been a member for a while but this is my first post on this forum. I recently enjoyed a New York theatre holiday during which I went to see this production. I was keen to see how it compared to the original London show, of which I was a big fan, seeing it a few times. 

Overall, there were aspects I preferred in each production (song arrangements in London, set/staging changes in New York) and it was fascinating to compare them. I hope Broadway gives it a chance. 

For anyone interested my review can be found on my blog here:

https://vickster51corner.wordpress.com/2016/05/10/theatre-review-american-psycho-broadway-new-york/

My review blog: https://vickster51corner.wordpress.com

AndrewAndrew Profile Photo
AndrewAndrew
#203AP Review
Posted: 5/13/16 at 11:16am

Our review of American Psycho on Broadway

Click Here

Videos