News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Scarywarhol

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Member Name: Scarywarhol
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Public announces 2024-2025 Season including Gatz, Sumo, premieres, and more  May 7 2024, 02:14:00 PM

Was just being discussed in the current Broadway production thread. Jordan, here's your chance. 

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 27 2024, 11:40:43 AM

None of the high-profile adaptations have had a really smart, creative, clear sensibility worthy of the material.

I will say wait a month. 

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 26 2024, 10:53:36 AM

These are incredibly kind. One of the most indefensible shows of my lifetime. Well, the defense seems to be "Removing everything deeply relevant to the world and time we are living in, everything meaningful or creatively exciting from one of the greatest and most widely-read American novels ever and treating the audience like absolute idiots, is just supposed to be FUN. Why can't something just be FUN?" Because terrible, cynically assembled musicals aren't fun. 

Mr. Burns @ Playwrights  Mar 12 2024, 10:34:41 AM

It would be hard to get excited for this unless it were a full revival. The staging is half the show. 

Linda Balgord has passed away.  Mar 6 2024, 08:50:25 AM

The best stage Norma. 

Days of Wine and Roses to Close Early  Mar 6 2024, 12:27:02 AM

I don't see anyone bashing the show itself on this thread, and there are many appreciative comments on the main thread as well. I think some good analysis of its dramaturgical issues have been raised, but it's easily my favorite post-shutdown Broadway musical and score. I'm glad there's been a lot of interesting conversation about it; it reminds me of what this board used to be much like the show reminded me of the kind of musicals we used to be able to expect. 

&n

Days of Wine and Roses to Close Early  Mar 5 2024, 10:56:33 PM

This was always going to be a tough sell, but the marketing campaign could not possibly have been any worse. I hope to catch it one more time. 

Why did Shuffle Along fall off the face of the Earth?  Mar 4 2024, 02:12:33 PM

Did it get a Lincoln Center taping? 

Why did Shuffle Along fall off the face of the Earth?  Mar 4 2024, 01:30:34 PM

It was an extraordinary experience. I was about to call it a "flawed, extraordinary experience," but it was so much more exciting than virtually everything to come since that it that it feels churlish to talk about any unwieldy qualities it had. I also have to say that it was an extremely rare treat to see a director ACTUALLY USE THE PREVIEW PERIOD to make truly massive and unprecious changes in clarifying and strengthening the work. It's felt like shows are so stingily produced

Playwright on HIV Med Strike / NYTW Responds  Mar 4 2024, 09:31:57 AM

Isn't that Tennessee Williams speech in the NYTW statement from James Grissom's book? By which I mean completely made up?

BACK TO THE FUTURE will transfer to Broadway in 2023  Mar 1 2024, 08:55:17 AM

TaffyDavenport said: "Hugh Coles is delivering a masterful recreation of Crispin Glover's performance from the film, and he was the highlight of the show, for me. Obviously, the spot-on impersonation will mean more to those who know the reference well."

I've not seen this show, but a bit ironic considering how famously Crispin Glover did not take kindly to being mimicked by another actor made up to look like him when he didn't return for Back to the

Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?  Feb 28 2024, 05:36:27 PM

I agree with Kad about Jinkx's capability here.

And similarly, I think MJ's performance in *this* production would hypothetically be, especially with direction, not necessarily the same as what we've seen from her before. From what I can gather, that was a more generally austere & "grounded" production. Idk, what I saw of her was exciting enough that I'd really like to see it happen.

This casting just made me think about

Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?  Feb 28 2024, 03:30:05 PM

Thanks for correcting me, I think I somehow got it confused with the Fun Home cast on Seth. Seems the only time I tune into these shows is when a very queer musical theater production is performing. 

Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?  Feb 28 2024, 03:05:18 PM

So pumped! With this barrier broken in the flagship production, I wonder if MJ Rodriguez will ever be in the conversation again. That production out west looked a bit...small even for this show, but the casting was exciting and I loved their Seth Meyers performance. 

Future of the Museum of Broadway  Feb 28 2024, 02:58:53 PM

Its is more akin to the Times Square tourist trap model of Madame Tussaud's or Spyscape than actual New York museums showcasing art and knowledge, and this is what's such a bummer. Even or especially if it closes fast, how long does this delay our ever getting a real performing arts museum? So many dreams of what that could look like. For now, folks who want that are better off going to the Lincoln Center library when they have an exhibit on. 

Stage adaptation of 2018 A STAR IS BORN from Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga in the works?  Feb 27 2024, 04:56:40 PM

verywellthensigh said: "I got it:

A hip-hop version where the Bradley Cooper character is now a closeted rapper who peaked in the early nineties and the Lady Gaga role is a more openly gay rapper like Lil Naz X or Ice Spice. Controversy and self-destruction ensue.
"

Not bad.

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy  Feb 27 2024, 03:41:51 PM

QueenAlice said: "The other thing I think Jamie Lloyd production does more effectively than any other I've seen is underscore that this isa tale of show business tragedy,, and that the tragedy of show business is that it offers no real happy ending for anyone. Norma Desmond may be delusional but she is the only character in the piecewho (even after being completely destroyed) holds unabashadly onto a dream until the final curtain. Nicole Sherzinger's portrayal is real and emo

Stage adaptation of 2018 A STAR IS BORN from Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga in the works?  Feb 27 2024, 11:23:47 AM

I don't think I'd be excited for a stage adaptation of the Garland one, but it would kind of make sense. 

I cannot fathom wanting to see the Gaga one onstage without the performers. There's like...nothing else to that movie, or those songs. 

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy  Feb 26 2024, 07:34:55 PM

OhHiii said: "Scarywarhol said: "To be fair, I too would probably have an impulse to clutch my pearls if something really precious to me were done this way. Given the economic incentive to barely stage a show, and the apparently infinite willingness for critics and some audiences to treat barely staging the show as artistically daring, I'm just going to have to go with it on this one. I'll only be disappointed if I don't have fun

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy  Feb 24 2024, 11:53:36 AM

When the NY theater press lost their minds over how innovative Ivo's View From the Bridge was, I wondered if they had ever once seen a student-directed college production of literally anything. Now Jamie is doing all the same schtick and we're all saying it's his. Ivo did the same thing with the camera tracking actors outside and back into the theater a couple years ago in Network. Constant amnesia.

To be fair, I too would probably have an impulse to clutch my

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You