pixeltracker

Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway, Opens April 18th, 2010- Page 5

Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway, Opens April 18th, 2010

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#100re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 9/13/09 at 2:42pm

Well - Mary Stuart and Hamlet are both Donmar productions that transferred with about four weeks in between one closing and the other one opening, at the same theatre, no less.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#101re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 9/13/09 at 3:17pm

If Harvey thought Arthur's production was too glitzy, I'll take glitzy over mind-numbingly stupid - LEGS DIAMOND - or dour and dull - A CATERED AFFAIR - which is what he has contributed to musical theatre bookwriting besides LA CAGE. Arthur, love her or hate her, has GYPSY and WSS on the credits list. And I think Harvey probably knows he owes something to Arthur for at least the structure of the book, if not the words so whatever.

And I think the structure of the show is one of its greatest assets, and that, along with the original staging, is what makes it the only production which will mask the multitudes of problems with the show. I really don't think, from what I've heard, read and seen about this production, that it will top that.

P

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#102re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 9/13/09 at 3:35pm

Then just sit this one out, P. Arthur doesn't like anything he didn't write or direct himself, so his opinions are not the be-all and end-all.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Jonwo
#103re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 9/13/09 at 3:44pm

It's a wonderful production and making it smaller and transforming La Cage Aux Folles from a glamorous grand club to a small, rundown club works very well and enhances the story.

I look forward to the Menier's production of Sweet Charity as although I liked the 2005 revival with Christina Applegate, it will interesting how the Menier reimagine it.