News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Smaxie

Smaxie Profile Photo
Member Name: Smaxie
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Gun & Powder at Paper Mill  Apr 18 2024, 02:26:36 PM

It's too big for Off-Broadway. Cast of 25 and a large physical production. It's also completely wild and original, with a great score. I had a blast seeing it at opening. 

It's a NY Times Critic's Pick.

What Next For The Majestic?  Mar 11 2024, 09:55:35 AM

RippedMan said: "Seems to big but okay."

In London, Stranger Things has a cast of 35 and it is a pretty elaborate physical production. It could certainly use the size and wing space of a musical house. 

A WONDERFUL WORLD To Open On Broadway Fall 2024  Feb 28 2024, 12:17:01 PM

It is being rewritten, head to toe. 

A Sign of the Times  Feb 9 2024, 12:25:33 AM

I do love when people on this board get indignant about things they've invented. They announced that the show will convert to a commercial contract after four weeks as a York Theatre Company production. It is staying put at New World Stages. 

Tyne Daly Withdraws From DOUBT, Amy Ryan To Replace  Feb 7 2024, 06:10:15 AM

It's not about attacking anyone's favorite star. The fact that hospitalization was cited is not business as usual with these types of withdrawal announcements. It takes a great deal of cynicism to believe Tyne's illness is just a smokescreen for what would usually be termed "creative differences" or "personal issues." The offensiveness of Boris Tomashevsky's post still stands, and it is even more galling that when called upon it, he dug his heels in deeper.

Tyne Daly Withdraws From DOUBT, Amy Ryan To Replace  Feb 6 2024, 05:15:20 PM

>Tyne was never coming back. I wonder what the real story is here. Couldn’t learn the lines? Couldn’t stand Liev?< 

Have you no shame? Seriously. This is both cruel and unhinged. 

JOB (SoHo Playhouse)  Dec 13 2023, 08:59:24 AM

Coming back... 

‘Job,’ Max Wolf Friedlich’s Psychological Thriller, to Return Off-Broadway This Winter (Exclusive)

MERRILY 2023 Broadway Revival Cast Recording dropping 11/15 at midnight!  Nov 17 2023, 08:08:30 AM

I will step in to defend "Growing Up." I think it was a crucial addition to the score, tying several musical motifs together that illustrate Frank's conflict. It comes at a moment when Frank is choosing between his friends and the path that Gussie is laying out for him, and ultimately he follows Gussie's advice. But Sondheim makes it quite clear which way Frank will go. "Growing Up" is almost entirely built on music associated with Gussie. The main theme - "So

Merrily was amazing -- up to a point  Nov 8 2023, 06:08:41 PM

To the subject at hand, the late Michael Feingold wrote a fascinating review of the 1994 Off-Broadway revival of Merrily We Roll Along. In it, he expressed the feeling that Merrily as revised worked better than many "hits" of that era. He wrote something that really stuck with me - how perfect do our musicals truly need to be in order to be considered a worthy evening. Some critics and theatre fans will say this show "can't" work because the original

Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2023 Broadway Performances  Oct 29 2023, 11:12:19 PM

Beautiful Noise performed last year. 

JOB (SoHo Playhouse)  Oct 28 2023, 11:04:56 AM

It was a New York Times Critic’s Pick and reviewed by most of the usual suspects. Posters on Instagram and TikTok have also gone quite crazy for it. It’s just the theatre message boards who haven’t been in on it. 

JOB (SoHo Playhouse)  Oct 28 2023, 06:40:45 AM

Agree with you - it's a fantastic play. One of the reviews positively equated it with being on a drop tower ride, which I think is a good description. Sydney Lemmon and Peter Friedman handle the play's twists and turns expertly. I hope it has another life as well. 

A WONDERFUL WORLD  Oct 15 2023, 02:44:15 PM

A cursory Google search would show you she did all the local radio and TV outlets, including WGN. 

James Monroe Iglehart to play Louis Armstrong in Broadway-aimed bio-musical A WONDERFUL WORLD  Oct 10 2023, 11:00:05 AM

Positive review from the Times-Picayune, the major New Orleans paper. (The writer expresses one reservation about a scene that turns abruptly dark, but otherwise is effusive).

Broadway-bound 'A Wonderful World' musical explored Louis Armstrong's complicated life

A WONDERFUL WORLD  Oct 9 2023, 12:04:54 PM

I wasn't going to jump into this thread, but I saw a NYC rehearsal run-thru with this current cast and had a complete opposite reaction than goldenboy up above. I think it is an uncommonly smart example of its genre, largely thanks to its book writer Aurin Squire and some very crafty uses of the Armstrong catalog. It does deal with a lot of the aspects Ermengarde mentions, including Armstrong's Civil Rights efforts, the Black community backlash against him, the gangster connections of

THE GREAT GATSBY @ Paper Mill Playhouse Thread  Oct 8 2023, 12:53:20 PM

The absolutely wonderful, long running 1980s revival of You Can't Take It With You also moved from Paper Mill Playhouse (in a co-production with the Kennedy Center), as well as a short-lived revival of I'm Not Rappaport in 2002.   

SWEENEY TODD (2023) Broadway Revival Cast Recording Thread  Sep 8 2023, 03:46:02 PM

It's a good recording. Everyone sounds in strong voice, and I didn't have a problem with Jordan Fisher either. (Oddly, Johanna gets left in that trunk again). There are some very smart acting choices made throughout that also work well on the recording. 

But the terrific Dolby Atmos remix of the Original Broadway Cast Recording, preserving so much more of the score, really knocked me out, and I think renders every other recording as secondary. I've lived with that OBCR

Cancelled Shows That Only Made It To The Marquee  Sep 7 2023, 06:49:35 PM

Senator Joe played 3 previews, but Nimrod and the Tower of Babel never made it. This was the Alvin/Neil Simon Theatre in its 1980s disaster mode, post-Annie. 

Cancelled Shows That Only Made It To The Marquee  Sep 7 2023, 06:09:13 PM

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway  Aug 29 2023, 09:31:00 AM

Yes, I just checked it out. Hal Prince says to Aron, "It's a big bore to me in America, and that's why I'm cutting it." 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You