pixeltracker

Riedel: Karimloo "wooden", Boggess "vapid"- Page 3

Riedel: Karimloo "wooden", Boggess "vapid"

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#50re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 8:47pm

I agree. I don't understand it when people criticize performances on aspects that were obviously fully intended.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#51re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 10:06pm

With ALW's track record, the two songs you heard probably are not just representative of the whole score, they ARE the whole score, with 16 reprises of each one.

I don't really have a problem with (a little) repetition in a score, I have more of a problem when composers/lyricists utilize recitative that's not called for. It's not really a problem in Phantom of The Opera, but Sunset Boulevard is chock full of recitative that probably would be better off as spoken dialogue.

ALW wrote some wonderful songs for Sunset, but I feel like some of the recitative just grinds the show to a halt because it doesn't flow like actual lyrics; it sounds like regular dialogue just put to music, which most of it actually was. It would have been so much better if he'd just let some of it be spoken, instead of setting so much of it to music. Hopefully that won't happen with Love Never Dies.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 10/9/09 at 10:06 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#52re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 10:13pm

Ehh... I think Love Never Dies is going to be awkward when they speak. What are they going to talk about? "Hey, Christine look at this robot I made for you..."

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#53re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/9/09 at 10:17pm

Good point. I wonder if the Christine-bot will sing?

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#53re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/11/09 at 2:36pm

OOOOh please tell me Christine-Bot will sing with one of those microphones that makes your voice sound all Kayne West!!

hahaha...

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

HollyGolightly2 Profile Photo
HollyGolightly2
#54re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/11/09 at 4:27pm

Christine-bot: Yo Phantom, I'm really happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but Falsettos was the best musical sequel of all time.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#55re: Riedel: Karimloo 'wooden', Boggess 'vapid'
Posted: 10/11/09 at 5:59pm

That amused me a lot more than it should have.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy