pixeltracker

Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#1Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 1:02pm

In your opinion, which obscure cast recordings of well known shows need to be listened by as many people as possible? My pick, hands down, is the "1992 Australian Jesus Christ Superstar" album. It is the hardest rocking of the JCS recordings and has the best Jesus/Judas combo. Yes, some of the updated orchestrations are on the cheesy side, but man does it get your blood pumping.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 1/27/10 at 01:02 PM

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#2Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 1:08pm

I've become really fond of the Icelandic cast of Little Shop..

With Irma you gotta do something!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#2Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 1:11pm

The first that comes to mind is the 1993 London Studio recording of Godspell with Darren Day, John Barrowman, Ruthie Henshall and Clive Rowe. By far, my favorite recording of the show. I do love that Australian JCS, too.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#3Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 1:24pm

The Vienna Cast recording of HAIR (done in English) is also a favorite of mine. Again, updated orchestration and amazing vocals by most of the cast. Love it!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#4Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 1:26pm

My personal favorite is the German cast recording of RENT. It was recorded live in the theatre, so it's got an energy to it the Broadway recording is missing a little. Also, the German Mimi (I have no idea what her name is) is absolutely fantastic. Her voice is great and the acting is solid. The cast is all-around very strong in the roles and there's some great voices.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#5Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 1:40pm

Chess: The Complete Recording, with Zubin Varla as Freddy.

I don't like his Freddy, but it's the only recording of the London Version of the show.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#6Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 1:45pm

The Brazilian cast of Company.

bobby_luvs_bway Profile Photo
bobby_luvs_bway
#7Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 1:57pm

Evita 1988 Touring cast with Florence Lacey (her Eva is balls out crazy, and I just love her strange vocal choices as well)

Does anyone remember Nena Hagen recording a song from Hair? Was it a production or just a single she did?

PS love '92 JCS, did they ever release a full recording?

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#8Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 2:00pm

bobby - nope. They only released the highlights. What would have made that recording even better (minus the completeness) is if Anthony Warlow would have been able to play Pilot. He was signed and rehearsed, but then he found out that he had cancer and pulled out.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#9Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 2:12pm

I also think that everyone needs to hear ALW's "Variations" at one point in their life. It was included in "Song and Dance" as the dance portion. But, I like the original recording the best.

Jon
#10Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 2:13pm

I have an LP of the original Australian cast of Godspell that's quite enjoyable.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#11Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 2:50pm

The Australian cast recording of Godspell makes me want to hurt someone in a bad way.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

husk_charmer
#12Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 4:36pm

The Nashville Symphony Orchestra "West Side Story" is specatcular, aside from the strange choice of using the film version of "America."

I also really like the Dutch/Netherlands The Wiz.

I need to get the Vienna HAiR.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#13Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 4:39pm

husk - the HAIR album is really good

fosca3 Profile Photo
fosca3
#14Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 4:57pm

When I listen to PHANTOM (which isn't that often) I prefer the Canadian cast

You don't go to the dragon without a present - Mark Rylance

CONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
#15Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 5:31pm

COMPLETELY agree with Candian Phantom,
and I adore the New Zealand recording of Blood Brothers!

Mister Matt
#16Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 5:42pm

Spider - That Vienna recording of Hair is fantastic! I love the updated orchestrations, especially Air and The War. Brilliant recording that should be in everyone's collection.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#17Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 7:17pm

Completely agreed. I wish I was sold in stores here. I guess that's why they made online shops for, I guess :)

Mister Matt
#18Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 7:42pm

For those curious about the Vienna cast recording of Hair, you can hear audio clips on the German Amazon website. I almost forgot about the Dead End track! Freaking awesome.
Hair - Vienna Cast Recording

KirbyCat
#19Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 8:05pm

Beauty and the Beast Australian and London cast recordings...

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#20Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 9:24pm

The first thing that comes to mind is the Austrian recording of CABARET - gritty, gutsy, and beautiful!

I also loved the 70's Australian recording of PIPPIN - and if anyone knows how I can get a copy, please let me know!

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

strelimyn Profile Photo
strelimyn
#21Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 9:41pm

I will definitely have to agree with the Vienna cast recording of Hair. Just simply amazing.
I'm also a big fan of the Swedish recording of Rent. Also updated orchestrations and great vocal performances.

sumladfrompa.tumblr.com

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#22Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 10:09pm

The Danish tour and Swedish concert recordings of Chess are better than any New York or London versions- and they're also in English.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#23Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/27/10 at 10:14pm

The ORIGINAL Danish Tour cast album of CHESS is BY FAR the best recording of the score in English. The re-release was forced to cut some of the recitative because Benny & Bjorn did not want it recorded in the first place so it is not as complete as the first version (instead they include a remix of "One Night In Bangkok"). I treasure my original pressing of the album above most of my other cast albums! SO wonderful.

OH, and though he is an acquired taste, Zubin Varla is not only my favorite Freddie, but also my favorite Judas in JCS. That London revival recording featuring him, along with Steve Balsamo and Joanna Ampil, is so freaking good. My fav recording of JCS.

P

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#24Best Unknown Cast Recording of Popular Shows
Posted: 1/28/10 at 4:09am

Two suggestions.

First, the British Original Cast Recording of "ME AND MY GIRL" for two reasons (1) it's great to hear British accents actually done by British actors. The New York version loses out on authenticity and (2) because the female lead is Emma Thompson. Few people remember what a great singer/dancer she was (and her agents are happy with this situation as they positioned her as a dramatic ak-tirce, not a hoofer. In fact, she was a sketch comic originally and had her own show on the BBC.)

The other suggestion is a cheat. It's not a show famous in the USA. I cannot tell you how much I love the OCR of Peter Greenwell's "THE CROOKED MILE" which played in London in 1959. This show was decades ahead of "Les Miz" and much better. If you can find an LP, cherish it.

Oh, also the original French recording of "Irma La Douce" or even the British version and the London cast of Promises Promises with Tony Roberts.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699
Updated On: 1/28/10 at 04:09 AM

Videos