News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

rOcKS @ 'Next Fall'

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1rOcKS @ 'Next Fall'
Posted: 6/28/09 at 7:15pm

Simply put, I haven't been so affected by a play in a very, very long time.

There really are no secrets or intricacies as to why this play is so fantastic, it's just incredibly well-written, infused beautifully with hilarity and pathos. It's subtly directed, which works well for the piece. And the ensemble of performers simply could not be better.

There really isn't one single cast member that did a better job than the others, they were all sensational. Patrick Breen has the lead and is exceptional but it's not like he outshines the rest of the cast. They all are at such a level of performance that simpy can't be described, it must be seen live.

The piece, written by Geoffery Nauffts, feels so organic that it's actually eerie at times. Not one single moments rings false. He has crafted a play that touches on so many topics that it could easily feel like a TV movie of the week. But it never does. His constant devotion to the characters he is crafting allows for that not to happen. He makes them all seem so real that every twist and turn, as I mentioned, it totally believable and emotionally resonant. He has a knack for writing dialogue that is rare nowadays.

It's hard for me to completely express this show in words. I just absolutely loved it and think it's the best new play of the year. Go see it if you can, please. I hope this isn't the last we see of this piece, or the very least, of Nauffts. Bravo!

**** out of ****

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#2re: rOcKS @ 'Next Fall'
Posted: 6/28/09 at 11:02pm

I've heard great things about this show, and your review makes me want to see it even more.
Doesn't it close sunday though? I tried to get a ticket for this friday with no luck.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: rOcKS @ 'Next Fall'
Posted: 6/29/09 at 1:27am

It closes on the 11th, I believe. Grab a ticket if you can!

hubee Profile Photo
hubee
#3re: rOcKS @ 'Next Fall'
Posted: 6/29/09 at 2:15am

I totally agree. One of the best new plays to come around. Too bad it must close on the 11th. And as much as I enjoyed it while watching, I found it's one of the few plays that have stayed with me since I saw it a few weeks back and I keep thinking about it all. Smart AND entertaining.

http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

Videos