pixeltracker

Thoughts on the first preview of EVERYDAY RAPTURE?- Page 5

Thoughts on the first preview of EVERYDAY RAPTURE?

Dollypop
#100Everyday Rapture was 'ok' at best.
Posted: 4/24/10 at 6:27pm

You know, the more I think about this show, the more I not only dislike it, but RESENT it. It was only 90 minutes long and put together ineptly. Some of the show was offensive, other parts of it were downright tedious.

I may have only paid $10 for my "bargain" ticket, but I had to travel into the city by train and pay for a meal before the show. The best part of the evening was catching up on my reading during the train ride.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

sundayclothes2
#101Everyday Rapture was 'ok' at best.
Posted: 4/24/10 at 6:57pm

How much of the show is true? Is the magician and abortions segment true? Regarding the stories told, Sherie has been quoted saying, “Only some are factual, but all are true.”

vodkastinger Profile Photo
vodkastinger
#102Everyday Rapture
Posted: 4/24/10 at 11:07pm

How can you resent artistic expression and be a theatre person?

Okay, I get it...you didn't connect to the piece, not every piece of theatre is going to connect to every audience member, and that's fine. I have seen a lot of shows that I found tedious, cliche, whatever. But I've never resented someone for trying to express something. At least respect a person for trying to share something personal with an audience, and respect the fact that it may be a meaningful piece to other people.

I'm not one to rant, but I guess the work resent really pissed me off. So many people like to rant about the death of the art of theatre, but then piss all over any show that tries to make an artistic expression that they personally not connected to (see Fela, Everyday Rapture, Time Stands Still, et al).

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#103Everyday Rapture
Posted: 4/25/10 at 2:05am

For me, this show alternated between being wildly entertaining and tedious. The song choices and interpretations weren't terribly interesting.

I really don't think Scott's a great storyteller (I was frequently zoning out), and none of her stories were very interesting either. I mean, it's not like she's lived a Bea Arthur or Elaine Stritch life; she's what, 40 years old? When a back-and-forth between you and some lip-synching drama queen is important enough to take up like a quarter of your life story, you can keep your story to yourself.

I actually feel like the more I think about this, the less I like it. I'm having trouble right now thinking of the things I did like (other than a couple of good lines).

The Roundabout subscribers are going to hate this majorly.

srg129
#104Everyday Rapture
Posted: 4/25/10 at 4:08am

I'm not sure what all these "racist" comments are all about. But after having seen this show tonight, I do have to agree that this is NOT a Broadway caliber show. Right down to the cheesy and ill-dressed backup singers which are wearing matronly fashions that look like they come from some of the uninspired worst designers of Project Runway rather than something hip, modern, and fashion-foward, this show has Off or Off-Off Broadway written all over it. Thank god I only paid 35.00 per ticket for this show. It's really not worth more than that.

After seeing Sherie in Last 5 Years, this outing does nothing to showcase her vocal talents, except perhaps for the final number of the show. The arrangements and orchestrations are nothing less than a lounge style/cabaret presentation that makes you think you are on a cruise ship and the god-awful eyesore of a set that uses basically what amounts to Christmas lights and constellation maps only reinforces the fact that this show should not be on Broadway.

Sherie pretty much did most of her numbers by the book while literally sleep-walking her way through most of the material. In only about 15 minutes of this 90 minute intermissionless bomb did she really come to life. It was almost like she was on auto-pilot for the majority of the show. I had high hopes for this since I heard so many good things about it off-Broadway and didn't get a chance to see it. But there are so few "moments" for her to truly shine that it very quickly became yet another tragedy of this lackluster season of original Broadway musicals.

The book is very trite, laden with several simpleton and saccharine lines of dialog that even the best of musical theater actresses couldn't pull off. Seriously, how many times to we have to hear about the suppressed "gay" friend and his valuable lessons for life?

About the only entertaining attention-grabbing bit of dialog comes during the Youtube encounter and of course even that is exhaustively predictable and extremely pedestrian and predictable given the presentation. Not to mention we get yet another blase stereotype with the flamboyant male teen doing lip-syncing to her original cast recording? That just took the cheese factor to the Velveeta level.

If you are already a worshipping fan of Sherie, you will love this musical. But if you are a discriminating fan of hers from musicals past, it will not move you more firmly into her corner.

This show truly looks, feels, and is presented as a last minute resort for the company to fill their recently vacated spot. Don't spend more than $35 on this show, it truly isn't worth it.

srg129
#105Everyday Rapture
Posted: 4/25/10 at 4:18am

MiracleElixer,

I love your posts. You seem to be right in tune with my thoughts! I'd love to see a show with you sometime!