pixeltracker

Memphis (and Broadway Inside and Out workshop) 8.7.10

Memphis (and Broadway Inside and Out workshop) 8.7.10

rmusic11322
#1Memphis (and Broadway Inside and Out workshop) 8.7.10
Posted: 8/7/10 at 10:55pm

I experienced my very first Broadway workshop, taught by Brad Bass (Perry Como, Ensemble, Frank Dryer, Heuy u/s.) It was a lot of fun and insight into what an audition process is like and how fast you need to learn when going into a new show. First, we vocal and physically stretched. Next, we learned a cut version of “Steal Your Rock 'n' Roll.” After, one by one, we sang the song for Brad, the coordinators of the Broadway Impact workshop, and a few more people. When everyone finished, about 5 people, including myself, were assigned solos and learned some choreo to go with the music. After an hour of rehearsing, we performed for our parents. Derrick Baskin watched and was involved with a Q&A with Brad. Everything at Pearl Studios was finished so the group went to Planet Hollywood and ate lunch.

On the whole, the show was a very uplifting. Dan’yelle Williamson was on for Montego Glover because she was on vacation. She was fantastic! When, or if, Montego leaves, Dan’yelle should take over as principal Felicia. Chad Kimball had a great performance, but when it came to “Memphis Lives In Me,” he had to shorten the last note and a had a bit of a struggle with it. Whenever Brad Bass came onstage, my “classmates” and I would say “There‘s Brad!” If the show opened in any other season, it probably wouldn’t have gotten all of the awards it did. At least it was a bit of a save for the bad season we just had.

After the show, Brad took us onstage and cast members would walk by and say hello. When we got kicked out, we all talked to Brad for a while. He talked about how him and his kid and husband would want to open a theatre and Florida. After spending the day with him, I really wish him the best. And hopefully, I will get to see his Heuy in the near future. Today was a nice day. Hopefully, I’ll do more workshops with other shows.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask.
Updated On: 8/9/10 at 10:55 PM

AudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
#2Memphis (and Broadway Impact workshop) 8.7.10
Posted: 8/8/10 at 11:58am

Thats so amazing! How did you get in the workshop? Do you have to audition to be in it? I've always wanted to do workshops.

The Best of Times is Now!

rmusic11322
#2Memphis (and Broadway Impact workshop) 8.7.10
Posted: 8/8/10 at 10:39pm

Hey AudreyTwoTwo. I was able to sign up for the workshop online, no audition for it: http://groups.broadway.com/classroom/landing.aspx/?

Heather Jones and Vickie Plummer, the directors of the Broadway Classroom workshops, told me that there are quit a few shows being featured for future workshops. The next one is Billy Elliot.

I hope you get the chance to do one soon. It's very fun.

rmusic11322
#3Memphis (and Broadway Impact workshop) 8.7.10
Posted: 8/9/10 at 6:36pm

BUMP: Had to change the title - incorrect organization name.