pixeltracker

Sam Brown comes to Goodspeed! Cast it!

Sam Brown comes to Goodspeed! Cast it!

HummingAlong
#1Sam Brown comes to Goodspeed! Cast it!
Posted: 1/16/11 at 12:53am

The Unauthorized Autobiography of Samantha Brown, a new musical by Kerrigan-Lowdermilk, is set for a run at The Norma Terris Theatre (in Chester, Conn) August 4 - 28, 2011. I've only heard 6 of the songs, but what I've heard feels like a wonderful, sweet story about a young girl navigating the transition from high school to college. I think it's spunky but poignant and I can't wait to see a full production staged.

Anyone else as excited? Anyone have a great cast in mind? I adore the demo cast and would love to see it staged with them:

Meghann Fahy as Samantha Brown
Helene York as Kelly, Sam's best friend
Nick Blaemire as Adam, Sam's boyfriend
Lisa Brescia as Sam's mother
i don't know who plays the dad, but I like him, too.

Any other ideas?
Updated On: 1/16/11 at 12:53 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2Sam Brown comes to Goodspeed! Cast it!
Posted: 1/16/11 at 12:58am

The show is called THE UNAUTHORIZED AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF SAMANTHA BROWN, and it's Stephen Bogardus who plays the father on the demo.

Although I enjoy Meghann Fahy's voice on the recording, I think she tends to come off a little cold (I expect she'll be doing the show at Goodspeed.) It's a shame Patti Murin is a little too old to play Samantha in a full production, because she was absolutely terrific in the staged workshop in California last year.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 1/16/11 at 12:58 AM

HummingAlong
#2Sam Brown comes to Goodspeed! Cast it!
Posted: 1/16/11 at 1:18am

oops, somethingwicked, you're totally right! that title is a bit cumbersome- i'm sure, at any time of day, to get portions of it wrong. i changed the original post to reflect the correct title, but let all posters know that i called it a biography.

that puts a whole new spin on things...

i wish i could have heard patti, too. thanks for your comment and your help :)

Mezz
#3Sam Brown comes to Goodspeed! Cast it!
Posted: 1/16/11 at 7:16pm

I'll be seeing it in August, I'm very excited. I would hope Patti and Jenni continue as Sam and Kelly, but if not I think Meghann and Helene would be great replacements. Lisa is fantastic as her mother, she has to stay.

If Kelly is played by neither Jenni Barber or Helene Yorke, I think Annaleigh Ashford would do a fantastic job. The recording of her and Meghann singing Freedom was perfect, I'd love to see them share the stage.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#4Sam Brown comes to Goodspeed! Cast it!
Posted: 1/16/11 at 7:32pm

I love the song "Run Away with Me"! Josh Young (whose done a few things in Philly at the Walnut) sings it on his self-titled CD.... I wish he would catch his break! Great performer, awesome voice!

Videos