pixeltracker

The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs- Page 2

The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs
Posted: 5/23/11 at 12:01pm

Which proves absolutely nothing. For the record, City Of Angels as a show is, like its score, not very good.

What record? I mean, if you have some sort of research that supports your opinion, then I'd be very interested to see it. Adding "for the record" doesn't change your opinion to fact.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#26The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs
Posted: 5/23/11 at 12:16pm

trentsketch has it right. TheEnchantedHunter emerges from the shadows every few months to make an outrageous negative comment, just to see if anyone is paying attention. There's no point in getting involved.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

bk
#27The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs
Posted: 5/23/11 at 2:58pm

Certainly The Enchanted Hunter has a problem with reality.

"The chauvinistic 'sexiness' of THE LIFE is strictly old-school, written by two guys well into their senior years. In fact, Cy Coleman was the house musician for a tv show called Playboy's Penthouse. And it goes a long way to explain why the show was an outright flop, given its dated, antique attitudes toward women and sex."

The Life was a period piece - did you even see it? It did not take place in the 42nd Street of 1997, but an earlier time. I don't recall any "sexiness" - that was not what the show was about. I know Mr. Coleman was on Playboy's Penthouse - so what? An outright flop? While it did not make its investment back, the show ran 466 performances and won Tonys for Best Musical, Best Book, and Best Score. Not exactly an "outright flop." But then you knew that, didn't you? Its dated antique attitudes towards women and sex were very much a part of the period the show is set in, rather like Showboat's dated, antique attitudes about race. Context, dear boy, is everything.

It's okay not to like The Life. It is not okay to make inane pronouncements about the show that have no basis in reality.

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#28The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs
Posted: 5/23/11 at 4:20pm

Though in most parts I tend to agree with Mr. Kimmel, it's news to me that The Life won Tony Awards for best musical, best score and best book against Titanic. My memory contains a slightly different Tony Awards ceremony The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs

What it did win however was a number of Drama Desks, and both featured actor and actress.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#29The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs
Posted: 5/23/11 at 4:22pm

Anything from Welcome to the Club?

Peter Schifter was nominated for a Tony Award for directing. He lost out to Jerry Robbins, who won for Jerome Robbins' Broadway.

The only thing "unconscionable" in this thread is The Enchanted Cunter's melodramatic high dudgeon.

And I think they should have included "Here's to Us."

Here's Judy's unaired "Here's to Us" from the final show of her series:

http://youtu.be/6J3spaSdgjs

bk
#30The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs
Posted: 5/24/11 at 12:09am

My eyesight must be going - I checked on the ibdb and must not have noticed the word "nominations" - although I have to say having seen both shows I enjoyed The Life just as much as Titanic - neither were perfect, both had their pleasures.

BTW, it won best musical from the Drama Desk Award, the Outer Critics Award, and the Drama League Award. And it did win two Tonys. So, point is the same - cannot be called an outright flop under any circumstances. But The Enchanted Hunter seems to have left the room.
Updated On: 5/24/11 at 12:09 AM

TheEnchantedHunter
#31The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs
Posted: 5/24/11 at 6:02pm

"The only thing "unconscionable" in this thread is The Enchanted Cunter's melodramatic high dudgeon."

Just the kind of low-rent comment one would expect from someone who hasn't even seen the show. You're a piece of work, Slappy!

bk, the show takes place in the 80s. But its sexual politics is strictly Eisenhower-era fused with musical comedy naivete. The show's very subject matter reeks of sexism targeted for the tired businessman, circa 1960. As to 'sexiness,' if you think a show built around the lives of prostitutes and their johns, which features songs with titles like My Body and The Oldest Profession, doesn't have sex and titillation of the most puerile kind on its mind, well, I don't know what does.

Updated On: 5/24/11 at 06:02 PM

lovesclassics
#32The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs
Posted: 5/24/11 at 10:47pm

Getting this back on topic -

Rex Reed posted his review early. It's a rave.

Guess we'll see lots more tomorrow.

Curious to know what Mr. and Mrs. Roxy thought...

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#33The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs
Posted: 5/25/11 at 7:46am

As you guys probably know I'm a huge Coleman fan. And I think his later work is just as strong (and in some cases stronger) than his early work. From Playbill this is the song list:

THE BEST IS YET TO COME
CAST
Lyrics: Carolyn Leigh

NOBODY DOES IT LIKE ME
SALLY MAYES
Lyrics: Dorothy Fields

YOU CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON ME
RACHEL YORK, LILLIAS WHITE, SALLY MAYES
Lyrics: David Zippel

YOU FASCINATE ME SO
HOWARD McGILLIN

DON'T ASK A LADY
LILLIAS WHITE

I'VE GOT YOUR NUMBER
DAVID BURNHAM

WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW ABOUT WOMEN
SALLY MAYES, RACHEL YORK

COME SUMMER
RACHEL YORK

IT AMAZES ME
BILLY STRITCH

MONEY MEDLEY:
SALLY MAYES, RACHEL YORK, HOWARD MCGILLIN, DAVID BURNHAM
FIVE ZEROES
Lyrics: Betty Comden and Adolph Green
ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TRACKS
BIG SPENDER
NEVER ENOUGH
I WANNA BE YOURS

NEVER MET A MAN I DIDN'T LIKE
LILLIAS WHITE
Lyrics: Betty Comden and Adolph Green

THE OLDEST PROFESSION
LILLIAS WHITE
Lyrics: Ira Gasman

ONLY THE REST OF MY LIFE
RACHEL YORK, DAVID BURNHAM

LITTLE ME
BILLY STRITCH, LILLIAS WHITE

THE MEASURE OF LOVE
SALLY MAYES, HOWARD MCGILLIN

SOME KIND OF MUSIC
BILLY STRITCH

WITH EVERY BREATH I TAKE
SALLY MAYES

HEY, LOOK ME OVER
RACHEL YORK

THE DOODLING SONG
RACHEL YORK

WITCHCRAFT
DAVID BURNHAM

I'D GIVE THE WORLD
HOWARD MCGILLIN

THOSE HANDS
LILLIAS WHITE, CAST
Lyrics: Marilyn and Alan Bergman

IT STARTED WITH A DREAM
CAST

MEGAMIX:
CAST
IT'S NOT WHERE YOU START
IF MY FRIENDS COULD SEE ME NOW
HEY THERE, GOOD TIMES
Lyrics: Michael Stewart
WE'RE NOTHING WITHOUT YOU

THE BEST IS YET TO COME
CAST

I'm surprised that Sweet Charity is so under-represented (only two songs, both part of a medley?).

Also would have loved to have more Twentieth Century (Our Private World, Never, and Repent would have been great inclusions).

Nothing from Welcome To The Club, which is a shame because that score has some amazing songs (seek out The Name Of Love is you've never heard it. A fantastic song).

And I'm very surprised they didn't include No Man Left For Me from Will Roger's Follies with Nobody Does It Like Me and You Can Always Count On Me in the beginning. It's a perfect fit and a great song.

Link

....but the world goes 'round

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#34The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs
Posted: 5/25/11 at 7:49am

Oh, and does anyone else think the title of the revue is a little odd?

....but the world goes 'round

After Eight
#35The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs
Posted: 5/25/11 at 10:29am

^

I don't think it's a bad title. "Hey, Look me Over!" would also have been a good one.

I too am a fan of Cy Coleman's work. I prefer his first three scores to his later ones, though I like those as well.

charlesjguiteau Profile Photo
charlesjguiteau
#36The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs
Posted: 5/25/11 at 11:38am

I think tazber is trying to point out that the best can't really be yet to come given that Cy Coleman is no longer with us. Sorry to spell out the obvious...

After Eight
#37The Best Is Yet to Come: Cy Coleman Songs
Posted: 5/25/11 at 11:53am

charles,

I wholly understood what tazber was referring to, but many thanks for pointing it out to me.

The fact is the title can refer to the songs the the audience is about to hear on the program, and in that regard, I don't think it's a bad title at all, especially since it's equally the title of one of Coelman's most famous songs.