pixeltracker

What is the best recording of the King and I?- Page 2

What is the best recording of the King and I?

theatreguy12
#25What is the best recording of the King and I?
Posted: 12/4/16 at 5:53am

While there is no doubt that Yul Brynner is the natural choice for the King (there is no denying he owns the role), overall I still have to give the nod to the 90s version....only because I love the orchestration, I think Donna Murphy is fabulous (as good as, if not better than, KO, IMO), and Jose Llana delivers the most beautiful version of "I Have Dreamed" that I have ever heard.  I know there will be those who disagree with the latter, but his just sends chills every time I hear it.  I'm so excited he's playing the King on the national tour.  I'm eager to see his portrayal after having seen Watanabe.

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#26What is the best recording of the King and I?
Posted: 12/4/16 at 12:26pm

There are several recordings of merit but my all time favorite rendition of MY LORD AND MASTER is sung by Lee Venora on the cast recording of the Music Theatre of Lincoln Center's production on the RCA label. Her last notes never fail to raise the hairs on the back of my neck. Absolutely thrilling.

theatreguy12
#27What is the best recording of the King and I?
Posted: 12/5/16 at 1:45am

^^^That is a great song.  And when it's done well, it is a powerhouse.  I feel the same way about "I Have Dreamed."

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#28What is the best recording of the King and I?
Posted: 12/6/16 at 6:49am

The one Smaxie posted a picture of.

....but the world goes 'round