News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Demitri2

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Member Name: Demitri2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Pre-Broadway sell outs that flopped on Broadway  Nov 17 2023, 06:54:24 PM

FantomFollies wrote: "It's becoming obvious many people on this forum don't know what a flop is. A flop is any show that fails to recoup its investment and make a profit. It doesn't matter if it runs for a long time or is praised by critics or audiences. If it doesn't recoup, it is a flop."

I couldn't agree more. For example, the revival of 42nd STREET ran over 3 1/2 years and clocked in with 31 previews and 1,524 performances. Yet, it was so costly to run

What's up with Talkin' Broadway?  Aug 19 2023, 07:53:31 PM

I just figured Ann had bumped me off the site for the fourth time.

Annie with All Adult cast??  Jun 26 2023, 10:46:52 PM

As far as I'm concerned, there's only one actress who could do the lead role justice.

https://youtu.be/uSpbmstfWHk

PAL JOEY Broadway Revival Planned  Jun 8 2023, 11:02:56 PM

The one and only time I saw a production of PAL JOEY was back in 1978 at the Music Center in Los Angeles. In fact the producers changed the title to "PAL JOEY '78" thinking it would let the audience know it was a newer, updated version of the original 1940's musical. The show (and hype) was built around the Vera Simpson character for good reason. It was being played by the legendary Lena Horne who hadn't appeared on the Broadway stage in a show since JAMAICA back in the

Why was Victor/Victoria shut out of the Tony Awards?  Apr 20 2023, 01:45:59 PM

Egregious. I recall thinking back that this was a reversal of what happened with PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. That show received ten TONY nominations yet the female lead, Sarah Brightman, was overlooked. Luckily, she was able to embark on a highly successful international career of her own. 

With V/V, Big Julie received the only TONY nomination. Period. 

Who, Realistically, Could Also Star In KIMBERLY AKIMBO?  Nov 13 2022, 01:59:05 PM

Liza looks 76.

Toni Tennille as Dolly Levi (Yavapai College: Arizona)  Aug 27 2022, 11:44:54 AM

Didn't Judy wear that hat in EASTER PARADE?  And is the wig attached to the hat?

Liza rocks AND DANCES  Aug 19 2022, 02:43:58 PM

Since folks are posting clips of Liza dancing, I just came upon this. Cue up to around the ten-minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leFRIaZIQ50&t=67s

Liza in The Act  Aug 18 2022, 07:20:06 PM

Not sure about that. Do you think in their prime that Liza's voice and range was that different from Patti LuPone's. I recall Minnelli once saying she had as good a range as Streisand in her youth. So why didn't Babs do the movie of EVITA instead of Madonna, I wonder. I feel she was more equipped for the role than Baby Jane Ciconne.

Liza in The Act  Aug 18 2022, 05:20:40 PM

In what homophobic world are Madonna and Liza not considered dancers??

Beat me to it T.F.  :)  It must be cold living under a rock.

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway  Aug 18 2022, 05:16:13 PM

The last production I saw of CAMELOT was on a weekend stay in Seattle. It played at the 5th Avenue Theatre and starred The Yorks (Michael and Rachel respectively). As always, Rachel was a wonderful Guinivere. But Sorkin and Sher PLEASE don't do what those Lerner kids did who were in charge of that production. They cut, yes CUT,  "I Loved You Once In Silence" which I was so looking forward to hearing. Especially with Rachel singing it. It's such a poignant introspective

Liza in The Act  Aug 18 2022, 03:58:50 PM

I always wondered if Rivera was happy that Liza joined the show. It seems it was Chita's show all the way until Liza stepped in. It kind of threw the story off balance. Does anyone know if they added songs just for Minnelli when she entered the picture? Though I love Liza, in this case I think I would've preferred Channing as her daughter.

Liza in The Act  Aug 18 2022, 10:40:27 AM

When I saw Liza in THE ACT it was in Los Angeles. She was in top form that day but the flashbacks to her character's troubled life brought the show to a dead stop. Especially the abortion scene which I heard was cut by the time it played NY. There is no reason to ever revive this turkey.

As far as Liza's talents go... I first saw her in CARNIVAL when she was only 17 years old. I was so impressed that this young basically inexperienced teenager could carry a whole show on her sh

Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)  Jul 11 2022, 03:13:31 PM

Geez. For me, the backstage story behind this disaster is more interesting than the show itself. Most GLEE viewers have already heard Lea sing several FUNNY GIRL songs on the series and she was just fine. And it seems she too desperately wanted to do the show even if she didn't dress up like Fanny for her third birthday. I think her long-established determination to play the role will be evident in her performance.

Just saw this in the other room concerning another cast replacement. The poster was curious if she'll show her panties during "Who Taught Her Everything She Know" as she did in this clip below..

https://youtu.be/L1z3HYsl_Fc

Ginger Rogers Singing "Before The Parade Passes By" from "Hello Dolly"!  Jul 5 2022, 04:15:15 PM

Thanks for sharing that story Highland Guy. MAME was one of my earliest Broadway musicals. I fell in love with both the show and Angela Lansbury at the same time and was able to go back twice to see it. Being a fan of Rogers, I always wondered how she put over the score's big ballad at the end of the show since the London production never released a cast album. So, I was delighted a while back when someone posted just that on Youtube. I'm still moved by that Herman gem and though only an audio of the song Ginger certainly gives it her all. There's also the title song on Youtube which is a full video from a TV show at the time where you can see her dance.

"If He Walked Into my Life":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtymfXmyXuI

"Mame"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQCTiOYeoJo

Ginger Rogers Singing "Before The Parade Passes By" from "Hello Dolly"!  Jul 5 2022, 10:49:53 AM

I was able to see Ginger later in life when she appeared n a production of ANYTHING GOES back in the eighties with Sid Caesar. I was amazed at how strong her singing voice was since I'd always thought from her early movies that her instrument was rather thin. She was also promoting a clothing line she had with J.C.Penney and every time she'd appear in a new scene she'd be wearing a new gown. It got kind of comical after a while.

Did anyone here ever spend time with Ginger?&

LEA MICHELE to do 6 nights a week in FUNNY GIRL while Benko does 2  Jul 2 2022, 12:09:39 PM

I'd once read Streisand would instruct the conductor to agree to her "fast version" of the score if she wanted to get home an extra 10 or 15 minutes that day. And of course, it's well known Gwen Verdon would choose to cut entire songs from matinee performances of SWEET CHARITY such as "Where Am I Going" or "I'm A Brass Band." Producers should have had Helen Gallagher play matinees performing the entire show.

joevitus said, "She'll sing

West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?  May 13 2022, 03:48:39 PM

This performance was posted in the other chatroom. It's the actress, Amy Lennox, who has replaced Jessie Buckley as the current Sally Bowles singing CABARET. It's a jarring performance, a bit over the top yet riveting to watch just because she gives it her all. I doubt anyone could survive giving the same performance though eight days a week.

https://youtu.be/6DVxxFRxT_8

Did anyone ever see Liz Montgomery on Broadway (1989) ?  Apr 10 2022, 11:32:54 AM

Thanks, BrodyFosse123  for the info on SPECIAL OCCASIONS. Always enjoy your posts.

Did anyone ever see Liz Montgomery on Broadway (1989) ?  Apr 9 2022, 05:31:21 PM

Similar to Suzanne Pleshette who I saw in my first Broadway play, THE MIRACLE WORKER though she did return in a one-night run of a play titled SPECIAL OCCASIONS in 1982 which I know nothing about. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You