News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for theatreguy12

Member Name: theatreguy12
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Boy George in MR  Feb 10 2024, 06:16:19 PM

Saw Culture Club at the Hollywood Bowl last season and he just didn't sound as good then either as he had been in previous outings.  

Even his bantering and ad lib between songs was pretty weak. This Broadway outing doesn't really surprise me.

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa  Jan 4 2024, 11:37:14 AM

ColorTheHours048 said: "OhHiii said: "Worth reminding the folks who don't like this production that you don't have to see it!! :)"

It sounds like they did see it and didn’t like it, so… I’m not sure what you’re at. People are allowed to have opinions that differ from the general consensus.
"

I agree with this.  I didn't see BTTF here in NY because I had seen it in London and wasn'

Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread  Aug 7 2023, 11:39:50 PM

Glad to see someone ask about the choreography because from the clips I've seen from the show it does look largely identical.

And that's not a bad thing.  Seeing the original, I was absolutely floored by the energy behind the choreography and the cast, and I became an instant Susan Stroman fan!  For life!

It was absolutely inspired.  And brought the house down.

Personally I found the story to be quite fun.  With some great comedic sketches. &nb

Jelly's Last Jam  Aug 4 2023, 11:08:02 PM

Thank you.

I thought I had read about it being performed somewhere in the near future. 

Would still like to see a full-fledged revival.

Jason Robert Brown, Taylor Mac, Rob Ashford collaborating on MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL musical adaptation  Aug 4 2023, 11:09:41 AM

Not really any well-defined spoilers ahead but for those who haven't seen the movie, I'll just put it out there just in case. 

Count me in as being intrigued over a musical treatment of this quirky and (for me) memorable movie.  I know it has been a while since this movie played, and it is not a movie that necessarily resonates with everyone with regard to its themes and subject area. But I would definitely plan a trip to NY to see it.

In browsing the threads o

Jelly's Last Jam  Aug 4 2023, 11:03:46 AM

I was going through my Broadway collection of old CDs and put this on for the first time in quite a while. This still has to be one of my most favorite musicals.  Hines, Glover, David, Mathis and Pinkins were just so incredible in this show.  And the music, choreography and staging was just beyond. 

I did a YouTube search and found a really interesting documentary on the show, complete with interviews and insights from George C. Wolfe and the cast.  Really interesti

Back To The Future previews  Jul 3 2023, 02:40:59 AM

I also saw this in London so can't really comment on the NY cast or production.

I guess if you like the movie, and you like a little spectacle in your musicals as someone else put it.  Or if you are looking for something to take the kids to, a la Disney on Broadway, then it's worth some consideration.

Personally I didn't find the music memorable, and for me it just came off as another movie to Broadway production.  As one who needs a little more than a

NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread  Jul 3 2023, 02:20:47 AM

I just saw this last week and had a very nice time.  I thought that much of the music was quite beautiful, and I thought the performances were great.  The sets, the costumes, the lighting were magical...in so many ways.  

Was there a plot?  Yes.  Was it fleshed out to any great depth?  No.  I agree with that.

In fact, the side stories that were going on at the same time weren't either.  But I didn't care.  I was just taken in

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Dec 30 2022, 12:49:37 AM

Really no need to be offended over some comment I made in jest to a couple of friends about a musical I just saw and happened to love.  Hence the wink.  But to those who were, my apologies. 

It just seems odd that a musical that received such praise from most of the critics, seems to be at least considered good (to great) by most people who saw it would be dubbed "awful." That's quite an extreme.  Especially when describing the acting. 

I&#

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Dec 29 2022, 06:47:32 PM

christinelavin said: "BorisTomashevsky said: "JSquared2 said: "BorisTomashevsky said: "Word is that a priority loan has been taken out to help the show survive.

This show should have opened four months later than it did.But too many gung-ho (can that term still be said?) producers think all is well in the state of Denmark and that the people will simply flock back to the auditorium like it’s 1999.
"

Considering that the co-lead producer is The Shubert Organization, I think they have a better understanding than you of the current marketplace.
"

Lol have you seen the “current marketplace” grosses? Have you seen how many shows have closed recently and how many are on the brink?

Maybe realize that there have been a bunch of bad decisions by a bunch of experienced producers on a bunch of shows, and their “understanding” has led to this situation today.
"

There's an article in the NYT this week about the Metropolitan Opera going through the same thing -- it's post-pandemic problems, and it's affected every type of live entertainment. It doesn't help to criticize people who are doing their level best to stay in business.

For the poster a few minutes back -- I consider J. Harrison Ghee a breakout performer; I was at last night's performance sitting next to a family from PA -- it was the first Broadway show for all five of them (parents, three kids who looked to be 12 - 15 years old). They were out of their minds with joy by the end, standing and cheering and stomping -- an experience I'm sure they'll remember always.

Don't let the relatively few nay-sayers here sway you -- when there's hundreds of theater-goers having a blast every night. Christian Borle is also at the top of his game, and Kevin Del Aguila beguiles the audience from the word go.

In a word? Go!
"

Yes, Christine!   I agree!  Love your story.  And I also agree about Ghee.  Ghee was fantastic as well.

I know that theater is a very subjective thing but as I walked out of the theater I couldn't help but think that with what I had just seen, my personal feelings about it, and the reviews it had already gotten, this would be a hit.  Upon meeting up with my friends afterwards, I was like, the only way a person couldn't like a show like this is if they were void of a pulse, or just such a theater elitist that they need to be the one to go against the grain on that which is popular.    

Imagine my surprise to see the convo turning to money being put into it to keep it afloat.  I mean, what?   That all goes totally against the critics and even the majority of posters on here, including you and me. 

I wish them the best and I sure hope it catches on.  Broadway is a diverse place and there is still a place for this kind of musical.   I hope.

I understand that flashy and splashy musicals are not everyone's cup of tea, but to deny what is going on up there on that stage, I mean, even if it's not your favorite, or doesn't even make your top 20, I'm not sure how one would not at least consider this good.  Even if you want to say "good, not great."  

But to call it awful. Don't get it.   

Irving Berlin's White Christmas Appreciation  Dec 29 2022, 06:02:46 PM

I saw this on a last minute whim when it played the Pantages in Hollywood a few years back.  I had a great time.  

Outdated?  Yes.  But it is great for putting you in that aforementioned holiday spirit.   

Is Jesse Williams back in the show?  Dec 29 2022, 05:27:23 PM

CarlosAlberto said: "Dollypop said: "Saw the play this afternoon with a TDF ticket. I was in the very first row dead center I had no problem assessing the quality of water in the shower scenes."

You noticed the water?
"

That was my question.   Who is listening to the "message" when some dude is standing butt naked in front of you.  

Or then again, maybe it's the notoriety of those scenes that take precedence over the message that put this play on the map.  

Would this show have done as well without it?   As someone noted, sales went up after the photo/video was leaked.

I guess it's still the USofA though.  

Nudity still draws out one of three responses:  a) prudishness b) immaturity or c) whatever, it's a body.  Those who are comfortable with it will go straight to letter c.    Like JW himself said, it's a body for crying out loud.   As if we haven't seen men with great looking bodies.  Even "blessed" men with great looking bodies.  I would think we would be passed that in 2022.  

Dec 29 2022, 04:31:42 PM

"Paris Original" from H2$.   

Can still see Mullally doing this in the revival.  

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Dec 29 2022, 04:02:09 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Not a great choice for advertising. I saw the show again last night and even though Angie was out (you realize how impeccable her comedic timing is) everything else was still wonderful. I was front mezz and could see the mezz was maybe 65% full which, for a Friday night the week after opening to great reviews, isn’t ideal.

I could see and hear that a LOT of people were tourists and they all had a great time so my hope is that the show starts to

Fight/Disruption at Death of a Salesman 12/27  Dec 29 2022, 03:49:01 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Shouting to the drunk woman who stopped a performance with her behavior that she’s a disgrace is considered racist?"

Apparently nowadays it is.

Wasn't there a white woman who took all kinds of grief as well when she got into it with Lupone over the mask situation.   I agree that she deserved it too.  

We all know that racism exists in this world.  But color of skin isn't always the issue.   Someti

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Dec 29 2022, 03:38:16 PM

vegas3 said: "As a boomer myself, I vaguely remember the film from seeing it on television as a child (or teenager, maybe), and recall it as amusing yet already kind of old-fashioned as well as overacted. The film's strengths were its charismatic lead performers. Without those folks, a new version of the work would have to offer up something pretty spectacular to compensate. A fantastic score or a breakout performance might have drawn me in. Even though I still have two slots lef

Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6  Aug 21 2022, 01:28:55 PM

BWAY Baby2 said: "Each of those actresses were on par with Streisand is a very subjective judgement. Barbra, the superstar, was /is something very special- with charisma and originality that only a handful of performers- in each generation- possess. Which is not to say that another performer cannot give a credible and outstanding performance. But, Barbra is in a class by herself- which should not detract from any other performer's interpretation."

V

Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6  Aug 21 2022, 01:15:40 PM

Emma_Pillsbury said: "theatreguy12 said: "Why did they wait so long to bring this show back to Broadway if all it's about is finding a young lady who can sing the hell out of the score?

Again, LM will sing this score in a beautiful and powerful way, but she is no Barbra. She's just a very good singer who will do a very good job singing the score.

So if that's what it's about, you're

Row Hotel on 44th Street and 8th Avenue to house migrants coming from Texas  Aug 20 2022, 03:15:53 AM

sinister teashop said: "Wee Thomas2 said: "Jarethan said: "I am going to sound like a Republican, but do they really need to do it in the theatre district…I do not think this is the best place from a business perspective."

You won't even notice them unless you camped outside of the hotel. Remember, NYC is a constant flow of 100 more people getting off of each bus.

We should educate these guests, then make them c

Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6  Aug 20 2022, 02:45:06 AM

Why did they wait so long to bring this show back to Broadway if all it's about is finding a young lady who can sing the hell out of the score? There have been decades of actresses  who could have done it before now.

People knew that there would never be another performance of this show as powerful as BS's, so if all they were looking for was a great voice to sing the score, well, many have come before LM.   

So where does that leave us?  Will she cha

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You