pixeltracker

Come see a FREE OFF-BROADWAY MUSICAL Saturday 4/28 & Sunday 4/29

Come see a FREE OFF-BROADWAY MUSICAL Saturday 4/28 & Sunday 4/29

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#1Come see a FREE OFF-BROADWAY MUSICAL Saturday 4/28 & Sunday 4/29
Posted: 4/28/12 at 2:35am

Hello BWW,

Sorry for the late notice but for anyone in NYC this weekend, there is an opportunity to see a really cool off-Broadway musical FOR FREE at Theater 80 in the East Village.

It's called Hereafter, and here's a synopsis from the website (hereaftermusical.com):

"Three women have come together one afternoon for a reading at the Middletown, New Jersey home of psychic, Jason Richards. They each have had difficulty coping with the loss and of their loved one and are desperate to make contact. Unbeknownst to them, the spirits materialize during the reading and we discover that, like the living, they are also having a great deal of difficulty moving on. But the spirits are faced with a dilemma. The only thing keeping them earth bound is their family’s need for closure. They discover that if they make contact today, it will ease their family’s pain, but they will disappear into the unknown of the Hereafter."

Ok, sorry that synopsis was so long...but basically it's a musical drama dealing with life & death and such. The reason it's FREE is that this is its debut off-B'way run and Vinnie Favale (the guy who wrote the thing) wants full houses this weekend to impress potential investors for further runs, and just to get a good word of mouth going (and maybe encourage you to buy a cast recording if you like the music).

So that's the deal: free shows today (Saturday) and tomorrow @ 2pm and 7pm both days, so four chances total.

To make reservations, just e-mail hereaftermusical@gmail.com, and put JESSIE in the title. As far as I know there are still a lot of empty seats available this weekend so why not catch a free original musical?

If you do e-mail, you might as well mention that you saw this on Broadway World, so that producers know that this forum is a great way to promote shows, etc. Also makes me look good for having the idea to offer this to you all here.

So, I know that was long and not QUITE Broadway related (I'll post on the off-topic board too) but check out the website if you're interested. I'll leave you alone now.

Thanks anyone who read this whole damn thing!

-Adam

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#2Come see a FREE OFF-BROADWAY MUSICAL Saturday 4/28 & Sunday 4/29
Posted: 4/29/12 at 10:58am

BUMP! Offer still good today, Sunday. Did anyone end up going yesterday?

stevenycguy
#2Come see a FREE OFF-BROADWAY MUSICAL Saturday 4/28 & Sunday 4/29
Posted: 4/30/12 at 12:16am

Was a very poignant show with an exquisite set design (best set design I’ve seen at Theater 80), talented cast that has been in many Broadway productions before, and a storyline that comes from the heart. Tells the story of three women who lost someone very close to them (a son, daughter and mother) and who want to communicate with their spirits. There were powerful songs that were sung with strong voices as well as many beautiful ballads. I looked around towards the end of Act II during one of the very emotional scenes and saw many audience members with tears in their eyes. Still remember the very moving scene with the woman who lost her son, who was crying uncontrollably in Act II during a pivotal moment. You can’t help but get tears in your eyes at that part of the show. The show was filled with raw emotion and superb acting. Would definitely recommend the show and would want to see it again if it moves to a different venue (as I understood that this was a two-week developmental version). I was surprised that I don’t remember seeing any press releases for it, or any mentions in the press like Time Out NY or theater web sites, since this is a show that deserves to be seen by a larger audience. And a minor quibble – I would look into seeing if the Spanish (?) accent of the woman who lost her daughter could be toned down a bit, since it was hard to comprehend some of her words since her (artificial) accent was so strong. Again, a great show that I hope enjoys much success in the future. Received a well-deserved standing ovation.