pixeltracker

Musicals from Spain/South America?

Musicals from Spain/South America?

michellek45
#1Musicals from Spain/South America?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 2:45pm

I'm learning Spanish, and I've been using Spanish translations of British/American musicals to help, simply because they're easiest to find. But I'm interested in learning about shows that were written by Spanish/South American composers. Does anyone have any suggestions?

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#2Musicals from Spain/South America?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 4:18pm

There is some singing in TANGO ARGENTINO.

Osvaldo Golijov's oratorio La Pasion Segun San Marcos is beautiful; although some of the text is in Latin and Aramaic

There are many recordings of zarzuelas, Spanish operettas; many opera stars have recordings of selections from zarzuelas (Domingo, Berganza, Carreras, Caballe, etc.).

Generations ago, Spain produced many musical films, but I'm not sure if any have been recorded.

sergio_27 Profile Photo
sergio_27
#2Musicals from Spain/South America?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 4:47pm

The only Mexican musical that comes to my mind is "Qué Plantón", by Memo Méndez. The original production was very successful in the late eighties, and it is often played in high schools and regional theaters.

There's a new Spanish musical, "Pegados", by Ferrán González, that just opened here in Mexico a few months ago. I'm not sure if the cast recording is available or easy to find.

I can think of other Spanish and Mexican musicals, but they are jukebox musicals, à la Mamma Mia. "Hoy No Me Puedo Levantar" was a big hit in Spain, and here in Mexico "Mentiras" and "Si Nos Dejan" are two examples.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#3Musicals from Spain/South America?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 4:54pm

Cuando Harry Encontro a Sally (When Harry Met Sally)
Hoy, No Me Puedo Levantar (jukebox musical with an original book featuring the songs of Mecano)
A: Un Musical de Nacho Cano
Pretty Woman, My Love
Geronimo Stilton
Peter Pan: El Musical

Films:
El Otro Lado de la Cama
Los 2 Lados de la Cama
20 Centimeters

A friend of mine is actually working on a book detailing the history of musical theatre in Spain. I have recordings of other musicals from Spain at home, but can't place the titles at the moment.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#4Musicals from Spain/South America?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 4:56pm

Pegados! That's the one I was trying to remember. I could only picture the donuts on the CD cover. I believe the CD is only in Catalan, however.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ChildrenwillListen
#5Musicals from Spain/South America?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 9:47pm

I just know of shows that have some Spanish in them but are still American: West Side Story and In the Heights. I am hopefully done with Spanish for the rest of my life now.

michellek45
#6Musicals from Spain/South America?
Posted: 5/14/12 at 2:01pm

Thanks for all the responses! Most of them are hard to find in full, but I've found a couple of clips on YouTube- Pegados especially seems like it would be a lot of fun to see live.

MazingerZ
#7Musicals from Spain/South America?
Posted: 5/28/12 at 11:32pm

One of the best original Spanish cast recordings out there is "Houdini: La Magia del Amor", music by Antonio Calvo, lyrics by Patricia Perrin. The show opened to much acclaim in 1997, in Mexico City. The CD was recorded live at the Benito Juarez Theatre. I recommend it because in terms of structure, the score is very well developed and fits well the format of a book musical. The lyrics are smart and some songs like the quartet called "Mi Decisión" (My Resolution) are fascinating to follow.

Another great original Spanish cast album is the Argentine production of "Dracula" - no relation to the Broadway show by Wildhorn. The Argentine show was written by Pepe Cibrián and Ángel Mahler, and has been a huge hit for 20 years. It is very well done.

Another original Spanish cast album that I enjoy listening to is the new cast recording of Mexico's "Aventurera". Yes, this is jukebox musical based on the movie, featuring hit ballroom Latin songs of the 50s through the 70's, but it is so much fun. I saw the international company when it played New York, and had a blast!

Also, if you want more original Spanish musical materials, you might want to look into some early Spanish musical comedies/operettas, called "Zarzuelas". "Las Leandras", starring Paloma San Basilio (the original Spanish "Evita") is very charming. And also the zarzuelas by Ernesto Lecuona are very good. "Maria La O" and "Amalia Batista" come to mind. Some are still around in vinyl and/or CD transfer.

Updated On: 5/28/12 at 11:32 PM

Videos