pixeltracker

Will we ever see MAME on broadway again?- Page 3

Will we ever see MAME on broadway again?

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#50Will we ever see MAME on broadway again?
Posted: 6/21/12 at 4:01pm

Cheno is more of a Vera or even a Gooch. She's not warm enough to be Mame.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#51Will we ever see MAME on broadway again?
Posted: 6/21/12 at 6:06pm

Megan Mullally needs to do a musical soon. I think she'd be a good MAME. That idea, while not exactly perfect, excites me a lot more than Jan Maxwell.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#52Will we ever see MAME on broadway again?
Posted: 6/21/12 at 6:16pm

Though I adore Jan Maxwell, I feel like she isn't right for this vocally. I'm not intensely familiar with Mame, but she sings (and belts) quite a large amount of material in the show, correct? Though Maxwell isn't a bad singer, I don't know if her strengths are primarily vocal, at least not for the demands of this role.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#53Will we ever see MAME on broadway again?
Posted: 6/21/12 at 6:18pm

Not at all, Gaveston. We have a great deal of respect for the state of the Siberian theatre.

(I'M JOKING!)

Not to worry, henrik. One of the things I love about L.A. is that its residents have a sense of humor about their city. Where else would people adopt an ironic song like Randy Newman's "I Love LA" as the unofficial civic anthem? (Of course, the other theory is that Los Angelenos are so dense we didn't understand the irony.)

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#54Will we ever see MAME on broadway again?
Posted: 6/21/12 at 6:24pm

And I'm afraid I have no print sources re: Herman, but I have sources. It's even been discussed here.

I apologize for lack of clarity, jv92. I didn't mean to fault you as one might fault a newspaper reporter for inadequate sourcing, I was genuinely asking how you know what you know.

I myself posted that Herman had told "a mutual friend" that he wrote the role of Mame with Judy Garland in mind. The name of the friend doesn't matter and I wasn't asking you for any greater specificity. I even understand that sometimes sources can't be identified. I was just curious, since Herman has given approval for a staged reading of MAM in the fairly recent past.

Videos