WICKED reviews

BwayEqs Profile Photo
BwayEqs
#1WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/8/12 at 7:56am

Hi. Last night I saw WICKED at the Gershwin Theater.
I loved it. I though the Boq transformation was genius.
he sat in Nessa's wheelchair turned around, and it all
happened there. But some things I was iffy on, such as
when Glinda told "Dorothy" just to "Follow that one road
the whole way", then Fiyero and the guards came out.
When Fiyero threatened to shoot Glinda if they didn't
release Elphaba, shouldn't have Fiyero been off singing
"If I only had brain" with Dorothy?

They all call me a troll. Ok, call me a troll. If I stand on my own, so be it.

#2WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/8/12 at 10:34am

No because he wasn't transformed into the scarecrow yet. That's when he drops the gun and they tie him up in into the shadow of the scarecrow on the poles and leave him out in the fields.....then Dorothy comes along

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#2WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/8/12 at 10:41am

Spoiler alert...

Not that there are droves of people who don't already know that

BwayEqs Profile Photo
BwayEqs
#3WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/8/12 at 11:27am

Bes888, I see what you're saying. But I think they
made that scene a bit too long. There is not that
much time from when Dorothy leaves Munchkinland
to when she meets the Scarecrow.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/8/12 at 1:10pm

It's called interpretation.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Bob30 Profile Photo
Bob30
#5WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/8/12 at 1:18pm

The boq transformation is actually wry simple when the wheel chair goes behind the wardrobe the actor playing steps out (presumably gets in the wardrobe) and an ensemble member in the boq get up, gets into the chair and mimes along to the real actor talking off stage, clever and effective if you're not sat in the first few rows!

Westend: Lion King,WWRY, Blood Brothers, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Woman In Black, Crazy For You, Wicked, Sweeney Todd, Much Ado About Nothing, A Chorus Line, Book Of Mormon, Merrily We Roll Along, Cripple of Inishmaan
Tours: Avenue Qx2, Grease, Sister Act,WWRY,Hairsprayx2, Never Forget, Blood Brothers x2, Singin' in the Rain, Legally Blonde,American Idiot x2, Phantom of the Opera, Beautiful Burnout, Our Countrys Good, The Ladykillers, Joseph,9-5, Rocky Horror, CATS
Regional: She Loves Me, Sweeney Todd, Kiss Me Kate, The Pajama Game, Barnum (Chichester) Metamorphosis (Lyric Hammersmith)Tristan and Yseult (Bristol Old Vic)
Tickets: Nevilles Island, Much Ado About Nothing

ActingDude172
#6WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/8/12 at 10:11pm

Actually I'm pretty sure that the real Boq hides behind the wardrobe after Elphaba wheels him back there and an understudy stumbles out as the Tin Man for the final part of the scene. At this point the understudy is synching his lips with Boq's voice. This is done because there is not enough time to do costume and makeup for the real Boq.

As far as the OP goes, you shouldn't assume it takes Dorothy two minutes to get from Munchkinland to the cornfield. The movie obviously skips that first part of her journey during which she was alone. I think it lines up quite perfectly so that the guards have had enough time to beat Fiyero senseless and Elphaba cast her spell on him by the time Dorothy discovers him. That said, this creates a couple days of time lapse between "No Good Deed" and "March of the Witch Hunters". Using The Wizard of Oz as a reference, we go from just before Dorothy meets the Scarecrow to Dorothy being a prisoner in Kiamo Ko.

Bob30 Profile Photo
Bob30
#7WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 1:43pm

Acting dude, havent we said the same thing?

Westend: Lion King,WWRY, Blood Brothers, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Woman In Black, Crazy For You, Wicked, Sweeney Todd, Much Ado About Nothing, A Chorus Line, Book Of Mormon, Merrily We Roll Along, Cripple of Inishmaan
Tours: Avenue Qx2, Grease, Sister Act,WWRY,Hairsprayx2, Never Forget, Blood Brothers x2, Singin' in the Rain, Legally Blonde,American Idiot x2, Phantom of the Opera, Beautiful Burnout, Our Countrys Good, The Ladykillers, Joseph,9-5, Rocky Horror, CATS
Regional: She Loves Me, Sweeney Todd, Kiss Me Kate, The Pajama Game, Barnum (Chichester) Metamorphosis (Lyric Hammersmith)Tristan and Yseult (Bristol Old Vic)

#8WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 2:00pm

I am pretty sure the real Boq hides behind the wardrobe after Elphaba wheels him back there and an understudy stumbles out as the Tin Man for the final part of the scene. At this point the understudy is synching his lips with Boq's voice. This is done because there is not enough time to do costume and makeup for the real Boq.

Glad I could straighten you guys out.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#9WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 2:29pm

Actually, Joe, the boq transformation is wry simple when the wheel chair goes behind the wardrobe the actor playing steps out (presumably gets in the wardrobe) and an ensemble member in the boq get up, gets into the chair and mimes along to the real actor talking off stage, clever and effective if you're not sat in the first few rows!

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

#10WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 2:50pm

Huh. I am trying to picture that and I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I've seen the show twice and I think I had it right.

tphiliboy152
#11WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 2:56pm

Boq gets into the wardrobe.

Source: I've seen the show 5 times.

dramamama611
#12WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 2:58pm

I so thought it was done with a double lip synching to Boq. Gee -- you DO learn something new everyday.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#13WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 3:04pm

Boq is a character in the show.

Source: Listened to the recording once.

#14WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 3:06pm

You know, I hate to keep repeating myself but you are all wrong: The real Boq hides behind the wardrobe after Elphaba wheels him back there and an understudy stumbles out as the Tin Man for the final part of the scene. At this point the understudy is synching his lips with Boq's voice. This is done because there is not enough time to do costume and makeup for the real Boq.

Got it? I took the Behind the Emerald Curtain tour and that is how the guy who played Elphaba's Dad in 2009 explained it.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#15WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 3:14pm

But Boq is not real. He's a character.

So the main actor who plays Boq hides behind the wardrobe after the actress who plays Elphaba wheels him back there and an understudy who understudies Boq stumbles out as the Tin Man for the final part of the scene. At this point the aforementioned understudy is synching his lips with the main actor who plays Boq's voice. This is done because there is not enough time to do costume and makeup for the main actor who plays Boq.

dramamama611
#16WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 3:24pm

He doesn't do that bit as an understudy. That's part of his track. Understudies only perform if the actor playing the part isn't there.

But yes, we get your point. We are trying to conserve keystrokes.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#17WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 3:28pm

Let us now discuss who will play fake-Boq in the movie, because my buddy BwayEqs and I cannot wait for it. Just cannot.

Updated On: 7/9/12 at 03:28 PM

Bob30 Profile Photo
Bob30
#18WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 7:27pm

I don't understand what Joe was saying at all? Wasn't it the same thing I said originally?

Musicaldudepeter
#19WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 7:36pm

It could very well have been days or weeks before Dorothy encountered the Scarecrow.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#20WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/9/12 at 7:49pm

Fact: If you start the LP at the lion's roar, it all synchs up.

Source: I've dressed the track

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

BroadwayFan12
#21WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/10/12 at 12:49am

Fact: BwayEqs = defyinggravity2

Source: Observation and common sense.

BwayEqs Profile Photo
BwayEqs
#22WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/10/12 at 8:44am

^^
Who's defyinggravity2?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#23WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/10/12 at 9:40am

Bes888, I see what you're saying. But I think they
made that scene a bit too long. There is not that
much time from when Dorothy leaves Munchkinland
to when she meets the Scarecrow.

In the book, it's the next day. She walks for a long time and spends the night with a group of Munchkins (one farmer is named Boq).

In the MGM movie, there is a dissolve (a lapse of time) before she encounters the Scarecrow. Who's to say how long it's been? It could be hours, at least.

EDIT: Of course the joke is that Judy Garland's pigtails have grown about five inches (in a continuity goof), so maybe it's been a year.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 7/10/12 at 09:40 AM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#24WICKED reviews
Posted: 7/10/12 at 9:44am

Fact: BwayEqs = defyinggravity2

Source: Observation and common sense.

You can add 1 or 2 more names to the list. It has sort of turned into my version of Where's Waldo.
I nominate Anonymous9 added to the list.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 7/10/12 at 09:44 AM