pixeltracker

If you were going to Chicago (the city), what would you recommend?- Page 2

If you were going to Chicago (the city), what would you recommend?

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#25If you were going to Chicago (the city), what would you recommend?
Posted: 7/5/13 at 12:27am

I know that this is an old thread, but I just saw it now... and in case anyone finds the thread when going to Chicago in the future, here's the list I usually give to people (as a person who lived in Chicago for two years)...

Things you should totally do in Chicago:

- Pizza Rustica (By the Sheridan stop on the red line. Get their "pappardelle salsa rosa". You'll thank me. 3908 N Sheridan Rd.)

- Lou Malnati's (My favorite Chicago pizza. A friend had it brought to Florida for his birthday one year, and I took a bite and started crying tears of joy, because it's THAT GOOD. It's a chain.)

- Garrett's Popcorn (Get the Chicago Mix. It's cheese corn and caramel corn mixed together. It sounds gross, but it's the perfect blend of sweet and salty, and seriously addictive. It's a chain, and I believe they even have a stand in O'Hare)

- Swirlz Cupcakes (Best cupcakes I've EVER had, and I've had a lot of cupcakes. Many of them have filling. They have these amazing banana nutella ones... Mmmm. 705 W Belden Ave.)

- Books: Rare, Medium, Well-Done (Technically it's called "Bookman's Corner", but this is what the sign actually says. The best used bookstore in the world, if you can appreciate the kind of messy used book store that you have to dig through to get to the treasures. Crazy disorganized, and the man who runs it will forget your name and call you "little sister", no matter how often you go in. In Lakeview at 2959 N Clark St.)

- Portillo's (The famous hot dogs. Excellent cheese fries, and you should order the Chocolate Cake Shake, which you won't be able to finish but will never forget. Actual cake mixed in. 100 W Ontario St.)

- Hot Doug's (Gourmet hot dogs. I've actually never been, because I'm not much of a hot dog person, but everyone else is OBSESSED with it. You can order things like a foie gras duck sausage hot dog and duck fat fries. 3324 N California Ave.)

- The Weiner's Circle (Another hot dog place, but going here is more for the entertainment than the food, which is mediocre. It's open until like 4am, and they are famous for being rude to their customers in the late night hours. So customers often intentionally come in with attitude, leading to some epic word battles. Heads up: if you go at like 2am and hear someone "chocolate shake", that is a code for asking a female employee to shake her chest -- which they usually do topless if tipped $20+ in advance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wieners_Circle 2622 N Clark St.)

- Ann Sather (Chicago breakfast place. Delicious. It's a chain.)

- Clarke's (A lovely diner. Open super late. It's a chain.)

- The Hancock Building (My favorite of the Chicago skyscrapers. There's a lovely little Italian deli/grocery/gelateria on the ground floor that I adore, called L'Appetito. 875 N Michigan Ave.)

- Millenium Park (Because it's lovely. Especially in the summer, and there's a little man-made stream where you can sit and dip your feet. And you can see the Bean. And the spitting faces. Free park admission, and free concerts in the summer. 201 E Randolph St.)

- Chicago Shakespeare Theatre (Especially shows that they bring in on tour. Always world-class stuff. On Navy Pier. 800 E Grand Ave.)

- Second City (Just 'cause. 1616 N Wells St.)

- The Brown Elephant (Awesome resale shop. Like Goodwill, but all the money goes to fund a health center used by uninsured patients. There are a few locations.)

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!

siny
#26If you were going to Chicago (the city), what would you recommend?
Posted: 7/5/13 at 10:38am

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Going to Chicago in 2 weeks and your advice is very helpful.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#27If you were going to Chicago (the city), what would you recommend?
Posted: 7/6/13 at 10:10am

Chicago is about a six hour drive for me, I have been several times, but not in a few years. This thread is making me want to plan a weekend get-a-way!