Dirty Dancing

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#25DIRTY DANCING
Posted: 5/4/15 at 1:41am

Ahahahaha I saw this tonight. Now I get what previous posters meant about it not being a musical. The majority of songs are done by playing the old pop recording on the sound system. Very little live singing. Bits of group/ensemble singing here and there, and a few songs sung by Doug Carpenter or Jennlee Shallow (and they did "Time of My Life" as a duet). Carpenter and Shallow did a great job! Each was listed in the Playbill as playing a named role (she was Elizabeth; he was Billy, you know, Johnny Castle's cousin who carries watermelons) but also being a "Singer." When they were singing, they weren't a character, just a singer.

So... not a musical.

During curtain call, the audience went NUTS for those two, an explosion of volume and enthusiasm in the clapping that nobody else got, not even the leads. The leads got plenty of applause and a standing O (though my friend and I did not stand up), but nobody got the shrieking that the singers did. 

Full audience. Almost entirely women. Wondered if maybe it was less a musical theater crowd and more Dirty Dancing fans. Though, the singers getting the most love implied musical theater fans. I know I was yearning for more live singing throughout. Of all the things I love in live musicals, live singing means the most to me.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#26DIRTY DANCING
Posted: 5/4/15 at 1:46am

Oh, and about the abortion plotline: they do keep it. They keep everything from the movie. And then they *add* a new scene to that plotline -- an emotionally ambiguous scene. (I can explain the new scene if anyone wants.) The new scene softens the political umph of the movie's message, depending on how you read it. It's easy to read in several different ways, none of which requires a reach.

phantom phan2
#27DIRTY DANCING
Posted: 5/4/15 at 3:43am

just saw this in Sydney in January on it's Australian tour [back where it all began], i didn't mind it, not a huge fan of the movie but i found some parts quite nice and entertaining. Now it's in Melbourne having the time of it's short tour life