pixeltracker

"Nine" - original 1982 Production- Page 4

"Nine" - original 1982 Production

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#75'Nine' -- original 1982 production
Posted: 3/21/14 at 2:22am

I remember seeing the woman who played Carla in the tour on the Johnny Carson Show and perfored "Call From the Vatican" with the original choreography (but wearing a solid, non-see through body stocking), sitting in the interviewee's chair and using Johnny's desk (and Johnny!) as props. I've been looking for it on YouTube for years, but no-one has ever posted it.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#76'Nine' -- original 1982 production
Posted: 3/21/14 at 10:01am

Eric, you are correct about Geffen deciding to record "Dreamgirls" as a single album, and it worked as the recording went gold eventually. It also won two Grammys for Cast Album and for Jennifer Holliday as R&B Female Performance. She was also nom'd for Best New Artist.

I can understand why they did it, but I just wish they had recorded the whole score and came out with a full cast recording if the single disc release was successful. Thankfully we have the concert recording, even if it is wildly uneven.

As for Nine, the Tony Awards telecast announced "A Call From the Vatican" was to be performed (I remember it was listed in the TV Guide), but at the last minute it was deemed too risque and they went with "Be Italian". It's funny that Saraghina's number was considered LESS risque!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#77'Nine' -- original 1982 production
Posted: 3/21/14 at 10:49am

I remember hearing how truncated the Dreamgirls album was, but it wasn't until the concert recording that I realized how much of the score had been left off the album.

I like the concert recording very much.

I don't mind the movie sdtk (I love all the new songs) but what Jamie Foxx did to "When I First Saw You" was just bizarre. It's like a different song altogether.

....but the world goes 'round

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#78'Nine' -- original 1982 production
Posted: 3/21/14 at 11:01am

I LOVE the concert recording so much and the "It's All Over" track is perfect. I wish the poor cast had time to recover from the horrors of 9/11 before they had to record. The exhaustion is heard throughout and Lillias is SO good in the role, I wish her true vocals could've been preserved.

Every time I listen to it I think of LaChanze, who had to back out due to the death of her husband....so sad.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#79'Nine' -- original 1982 production
Posted: 3/21/14 at 11:03am

Lilas White is one of my favorite people in the world.

She is so nice, so talented, so all around wonderful.

I didn't know that about La Chanze. 'Nine' -- original 1982 production

....but the world goes 'round

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#80'Nine' -- original 1982 production
Posted: 3/21/14 at 11:26am

Tamara Tunie (Oooh, I'm sho nervish!) came in to replace LaChanze as Michelle.

Taz, I know you're too young...I wish you had seen Lillias play the role on Broadway. Her "One Night Only" is EV-ER-Y-THING!

(sorry all to jack the thread!)