The Bandwagon

Tom-497
#50The Band Wagon Brantley
Posted: 11/16/14 at 12:46pm

I attended The Band Wagon at yesterday's matinee, and the time flew by for me, too. I thought this was really well-paced, with a good mix of book and music. Also, I didn't see much to get even remotely "melancholy" about.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#51The Band Wagon Brantley
Posted: 11/16/14 at 9:51pm

Melissa, I didn't get the chance to see Osnes as Nellie in South Pacific. Since she "tried out" for the role during Kelli O'Hara's pregnancy leave and got the role when O'Hara left the show I figured that she must be a decent actress since that role requires a multi-dimensional performance. I also didn't see her in Bonnie and Clyde.

If I had to describe her ability as an actress based on Anything Goes, Cinderella, and Band Wagon, I think that the single word "sweet" would suffice. It shouldn't be too long before we see what she's got as an actress since she is in much demand. Her voice can also best be described as "sweet" without the power of the trained voices of O'Hara and Chenoweth and many others.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#52The Band Wagon Brantley
Posted: 11/16/14 at 10:20pm

(Edited because I apparently can't read.) Her work in Bonnie & Clyde really surprised me, it's what convinced me of her abilities as an actress. She really showed a different side, both vocally and acting-wise.

Updated On: 11/17/14 at 10:20 PM

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#53The Band Wagon Brantley
Posted: 11/17/14 at 3:02pm

I also saw her in Encores' Pipe Dream in which she was also very good in a multidimensional role. Although she couldn't quite sustain her bitter words at being alone and homeless in the world in her song, "Everybody's Got a Home But Me." That sweetness of the soprano crept in.

But seriously, had she not been a capable actress, she would have not been entrusted with the starring role in that lush revival of South Pacific.

Have you seen this tweet?

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#54The Band Wagon Brantley
Posted: 11/17/14 at 3:07pm

Laura Osnes and Michael McKean tweet goodbye to the rest of the cast.

Please, Sir, may I have The Music Man?

broadwaysweetheart
#55The Band Wagon Brantley
Posted: 11/17/14 at 9:32pm

I liked it a lot, didn't love the leading man much but it was a nice show, Laura's voice is wonderful, Tracey Ullman was funny, Tony Sheldon amazing... I really enjoyed it.