News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for OlBlueEyes

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
Member Name: OlBlueEyes
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Will there be any more shows for the fall?  Aug 30 2023, 03:38:54 AM

Dylan Smith4 said: "RippedMan said: "...to you, not to the average ticket buyers. He's not a name here."

He would still do great back here on Broadway! That man is one of the best dancers I’ve ever seen! They can put big names in the other lead roles though Carly Anderson should also come over.
"

I don’t know much about the differences between London and Broadway, but if a big show was losing money on Broadway

Will there be any more shows for the fall?  Aug 28 2023, 11:34:19 AM

I see that Crazy for You West End is selling tickets through January. Originally a limited run was planned, because there had been a revival of it only six or seven years ago.

The singing and dancing must be spectacular if the thin plot and corny gags are excused.

Nice to see Susan with a hit financially as well as artistically. She has been trying to get this to Broadway since 2018. Charlie Stemp has right of first refusal for Broadway. The long time the show will have run

Chita : fell Saturday night?  Aug 27 2023, 11:47:02 AM

54 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.  Apr 23 2023, 12:00:29 PM

Voter says "Ok PR rep"

Three years and you're still an understudy. When you obviously have so much to contribute.

Actually 54 Below offered to pay me with tickets to "Sondheim Unplugged," but I demurred.

Has so much work been done on musical that ran for two weeks days to rescue it. Referring to Merrily We Roll Along. The show has not one but two of those elusive items: Sondheim songs that people outside the theater community want

Borstein pitches a dream MRS. MAISEL musical  Apr 22 2023, 07:06:48 AM

On the night when they all descended on the Broadway theater to see the musical written by their Catskills Music Director, they surprised me by using as incidental music two songs from the Rodgers and Hammerstein flop Pipe Dreams. One of the songs was the incredibly catchy “Sweet Thursday” that I can’t believe no one has ever put to good use somewhere. Maybe they got clued onto the music from watching the Encore’s presentation of Pipe Dreams.

Broadway prices and uncomfortable seats  Apr 22 2023, 06:45:09 AM

The nutritional community blamed the great outbreak of obesity on the enormous increase in per capita consumption of sugary soft drinks in the 70s and 80s. In particular that time is noted by the fast food restaurants offering to “supersize“ your soft drink by adding another 40 ounces for a dime.

Body: “Thank you very much for this additional 84 grams of sugar. I don’t happen to have any need for this extra sugar, which I carry around as glycogen, bu

54 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.  Apr 22 2023, 06:15:28 AM

Fortunately I’m not sophisticated enough to recognize a bad nightline; nor am I familiar with Indiana cuisine to know how bad the food is there. But I will stick to my guns as one with the ability to know a great Manhattan.

but the place offers a service available no place else in the heart of Broadway, and they should be able to survive, if not thrive on that alone. You get stars, major and a notch below major, in a very intimate venue with decent drinks and desserts. I won&rsqu

54 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.  Apr 19 2023, 06:13:37 AM

Kad said: "54 Below’s reputation has largely gone down in the last several years. Unexciting programming, exorbitant prices, mediocre food and drink, and ridiculous minimums. It’s a great venue, but it easily becomes a $80-100 evening per person.

Joe’s Pub offers better food and more interesting shows, as does Chelsea Table. Green Room 42 has no minimums at all, cheaper tickets, and is a great place for emerging talent to do shows and for their friends to

54 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.  Apr 19 2023, 05:58:48 AM

heybaby said: "So can I write off the $35 martini I had last time I was there? The food and drink prices are such a ridiculous joke at 54 Below."

What prices are not ridiculous in the theater district? Start with moderately good seats to a show that you know will be one run and done. And the drinks you buy at the theater may not be quite as expensive as they are at 54 below but they are not quite as good either. Hey, I will splurge for a Manhattan made with Grand Mar

54 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.  Apr 19 2023, 05:29:55 AM

I’ll miss 54 Below if it passes, but I won’t be surprised. Every night they have two slots to fill, and there are not enough “names” to fill a quarter of them. Perhaps they already do this, but they should lower the prices on food and beverages on nights without star power.

I looked at 54 Below as an alternative to spending about the same amount of money to see a mediocre new Broadway show from a mediocre seat.

I loved it that they allowed you to take non-flash videos. There must be 1000 up on YouTube. Do they help or hurt the business, or is it a push? . I went there to see Betsy Wolfe, and who should pop in but Jeremy Jordan. And the two of them, after some patter, sang “Suddenly Seymour” together. I knew nothing of the Fangirl base of Jeremy, so I was very surprised when about 14 hours after I uploaded that video to YouTube, it had 14,000 views. And now, about four years later, it’s got 214,000. (never made a penny off it.)

I thought I had an exclusive on Kelli O’Hara‘s appearance at the “diamond“ series. They had made the usual announcement from the stage that video taken with flash was forbidden, so I was shooting my non-flash video, as usual, when I was tapped on the shoulder and told to desist about 15 seconds before the performance was over. (She was singing “I’m Going to Go Back There Someday” and Sondheim’s “What More Do I Need?&rdquo All right, I thought, here is the only video shot at Kelly’s appearance. But I’m very surprised to find that a year later, the number of views is stuck at 1.5 K. A few weeks earlier, when Sierra Boggess had appeared, videos of her singing the classics “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again” plus “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes” and “The Nearness of You” reached over 10,000 views. None received really big numbers, but the difference was hard to explain.

Variety "review?" of SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE at Pasadena  Mar 7 2023, 10:17:33 PM

Sunday in the Park with George is never going to be a widely popular musical. An audience member has to work to get into the world on display before him. He must care about the characters, and empathize with the them although they do little to consciously generate that empathy. He must forego the pleasures of a melodious score. If a musical lover must choose turning left to hear "The Best of Times" or right to hear "Finishing the Hat," most will turn left.&nb

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway  Mar 7 2023, 05:11:00 PM

As far as seating, I haven't been disappointed with Lodge seats I've sat in, but the orchestra will be better. There's very little Lodge overhang, so just about anywhere in the Orchestra will be closer. 

If you get a chance, if you go more than once, try sitting in the first or second row, either to the left or right of the pit, it’s like you’re practically on stage, and you can see every expression on their faces. It’s a unique experience to

Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?  Feb 14 2023, 07:56:08 PM

qolbinau said: "The Book of Mormon manages to absolutely ridicule the intellectual absurdity of certain false beliefswhile alsobeing wildly hilarious. I'm waiting for the sequel they are working on, I believe it's calledThe Koran."

If they ridiculed Muslim like they do Mormonism, they may well be charged with a hate crime and terminated the next day. Or they might have to flee to Finland for their lives. I fail to see the distinction between the two religions

Happy Birthday to Chita  Feb 12 2023, 03:20:46 PM

Kelli O’Hara’s Tony Nominations- A Look Back  Jan 1 2023, 05:21:19 PM

I did not see her in Violet, but I heard about it and people said it validated her acting ability and I was glad to hear it. That first act closer Anything Goes was a spectacular tribute to old-time Broadway dancing. I remember Sutton saying that the trick to singing when you were so dry from dancing was to bite down hard on your tongue.  I didn't try it.

It's funny, but I think when Matthew Morrison cancelled, Sutton and Kelli went together out to Long Island'

Kelli O’Hara’s Tony Nominations- A Look Back  Dec 31 2022, 01:54:15 AM

Jessie Mueller. Played Carole King in a juke box musical. 

Vocal difficulty:  Had to sound like Carole King.

Acting difficulty: Had to sound like Carole King.

Look, I had my vinyl copy of Tapestry. It is a pop classic.

King even gets sole songwriting credit for all the songs. Gerry Goffin fell into a sewer and was written out of her life.

About 599,000 less people have watched the recording of the title tune to Beautiful than watched the recording

Bartlett Sher's production of MY FAIR LADY will play London Coliseum beginning May 7, 2022  Dec 31 2022, 12:14:17 AM

Barlett was pleased with her as well:

The casting of Ambrose, a 40-year-old mother of two, as the twentysomething Eliza bewildered some theater folk, but Sher says that “to get someone who can do all of this, it’s always a surprise. And every single time I’ve ever worked with her, she came in and gave the best audition I’ve ever seen, until the next time she came in for something else.”

But I won't even be able to see the pale repro

Bartlett Sher's production of MY FAIR LADY will play London Coliseum beginning May 7, 2022  Dec 30 2022, 05:23:27 AM

Broadway kills me in that it does not record and save its greatest achievements for a release to the world even if it’s many years after the show had its run. This My Fair Lady production is about the only show I can remember where I enjoyed the second act dialogue more than the music, and there was nothing wrong with the music either.

So what if Bernard Shaw considered Stalin a friend, and was a houseguest of Hitler. He knew his craft, how to write engaging dialogue, an

Dec 29 2022, 01:46:11 AM

Going Back in Time, of course:

Show Me!   Julie Andrews sang this often in concert and television appearances.

Life Upon the Wicked Stage     Show Boat

(You Gotta Have) Heart     Damn Yankees

Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend   Carol Channing

There Is Nothing Like a Dame      South Pacific

No Way to Stop It     Nearly lost gem from Sound of Musi

Kelli O’Hara’s Tony Nominations- A Look Back  Dec 29 2022, 12:58:41 AM

Jarethan said: "I have always felt that she had a beautiful voice, but lacks charisma on stage. I thought she deserved the Tony for Piazza hands down, but did not feel she deserved a win for anything else. I thought Donna Murphy and Faith Prince were more charismatic Anna’s, as was Marin Mazzie.

i did not see Bridges, but could see her in the role. I have never liked Kiss Me, Kate, but thought she could not compare with Mazzie in the earlier revival, this despite the

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You