pixeltracker

Replacement stars that change a show- Page 2

Replacement stars that change a show

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#25Replacement stars that change a show
Posted: 11/21/14 at 8:49am

I think changing costumes and keys is pretty common for star replacements.

Though as I mentioned elsewhere, Mimi Hines' assistant told me Mimi sang Streisand's FUNNY GIRL keys for a full year before she got up her nerve to demand the songs be lowered a bit.

I'm sure producers are happy to avoid the cost if they can get away with it, but doing so can be quite foolish. Most singer/actors I know aren't their best if they feel a song is poorly placed for their instrument or a costume doesn't fit and look good (unless, obviously, the character is supposed to look ugly).

nasty_khakis
#26Replacement stars that change a show
Posted: 11/21/14 at 10:52am

I didn't mind Mario getting a tight polo shirt instead of the Zach sweater, I could stomach him being in the opening more, but I couldn't understand WHY they let him lead the "wedge" in the finale. It's Paul's return/shinning moment! I also capital H Hated him actually being on stage in the scene with Cassie before "Music in the Mirror." The entire point is Zach is this voice, leaving Cassie alone and isolated and never having a close discussion in private like she asked.

I think there's good and bad in asking for a costume change. For example, the way Michelle Williams was playing Sally, they made her more girlish, less tarty to match her portrayal. Lopez asking to cover a chorus boy's arms seemed so strange to me. There's also the discussion of Bernadette's original red dress in "Follies" and completely wrong it was for Sally, no matter how gorgeous she looked in it.

In Xanadu, Cheyenne was the only Sonny to wear a tank, all the others wore a full tshirt.

Dollypop
#27Replacement stars that change a show
Posted: 11/21/14 at 2:04pm

When Pearl Bailey took over the role of Dolly, the costumes were modified a bit and she and Cab Calloway gave a "third act" in which they entertained the audience for another 1/2 hour or so.

When Merman joined the show two songs were added.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#28Replacement stars that change a show
Posted: 11/21/14 at 9:05pm

When Robert Preston replaced George C. Scott in the play "Sly Fox" the show was a good 20 minutes shorter. Not because they cut anything. Mr. Scott did not handle the light comedy very well and played it very dramatically which affected everyones timing. Mr. Preston upped the pace and the rest of the cast and show caught fire.

ghostlight2
#29Replacement stars that change a show
Posted: 11/21/14 at 9:22pm

"I didn't mind Mario getting a tight polo shirt instead of the Zach sweater, I could stomach him being in the opening more, but I couldn't understand WHY they let him lead the "wedge" in the finale. It's Paul's return/shining moment! I also capital H Hated him actually being on stage in the scene with Cassie before "Music in the Mirror." The entire point is Zach is this voice, leaving Cassie alone and isolated and never having a close discussion in private like she asked. "

Yes to all of the above, especially Zach being onstage before "Music and the Mirror".It subverted the entire scene. Other changes implemented were adding a hoodie to Nick Adams' (Larry) costume so that Nick's biceps didn't outgun Mario's, and staging Nick further upstage during dance scenes that Zach was in.

It was a terrible stuntcast, and the show closed not long after he joined it.

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#30Replacement stars that change a show
Posted: 11/23/14 at 7:28pm

A recent change occurred in "The Phantom of the Opera" when Norm Lewis took over. The cemetery scene following "Wishing you were somehow here again" (a reprise of "Angel of Music") is sung as a trio in the West End production, but usually only as a duet in the US. Now, the song is a trio (the Phantom, Christine, and Raoul) in the Broadway version as well.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#31Replacement stars that change a show
Posted: 11/23/14 at 8:08pm

""I didn't mind Mario getting a tight polo shirt instead of the Zach sweater, I could stomach him being in the opening more, but I couldn't understand WHY they let him lead the "wedge" in the finale. It's Paul's return/shining moment! I also capital H Hated him actually being on stage in the scene with Cassie before "Music in the Mirror." The entire point is Zach is this voice, leaving Cassie alone and isolated and never having a close discussion in private like she asked. "

YES! I capital H HATED him in that show, period, but this was a lot of the problem. He was also notorious for spending a good portion of the show in the theatre lobby. Terrible performance and a terrible attitude.

There have been changes to the ball choreography in Cinderella since Laura Osnes left. And while not a "star," the tree monster at the beginning of the show also left with the ensemble member in that original track.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234