News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for nasty_khakis

nasty_khakis Profile Photo
Member Name: nasty_khakis
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Feel stressed when arriving to the theatre?  Apr 23 2024, 04:59:23 PM

There's a reason I walk up to the theatre ~5 minutes before curtain. Just enough time to get in with no rush, use the restroom and get to my seat. God bless everyone that is already in a long line at half hour since we need those people to already be in and sorted so I can just roll up at curtain but I've never understood wanting to be in your seat at 7:32pm to sit for half an hour and have to stand up every few minutes to let others sit.

How do shows assign dressing rooms?  Apr 11 2024, 03:02:07 PM

Aaron mentioned in an interview he has Groban's dressing room because he repainted it. 

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/7/24  Apr 9 2024, 05:39:59 PM

Wick3 said: "I’m a Cabaret fan but will admit it does need stunt casting.
The 2014 revival closed after it couldn’t find any other celebs to cast as Sally Bowles after Michelle Williams and Emma Stone.
"

That revival didn't remodel a theater. The initial investment of this production is MUCH greater. Clearly they've plotted selling Eddie at 100% asking price for tickets to make up a chunk of it and then x number of years at y percentage a

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/17/24  Mar 19 2024, 05:10:04 PM

QueenAlice said: "They will need to stunt cast with names that can sell a large number of$400+ tickets, as that is what the recoupment schedule demands to break even."

I guarantee those producers have had their fingers busy dialing ANY possible replacements for months now. I don't think they'll need huge huge names but a B list pop star here, a fresh from a buzzy tv show actress there, a broadway name here, etc they can inch their way there.

Do we

Is Ben Platt Reopening The Palace theatre with a concert for his new Album?  Mar 18 2024, 11:40:49 AM

His Radio City show was *heavily* papered and not full. I don't see how he's going to sell 3 weeks. 

There's also a difference in "See X performer in a show" and "See X performer sing his pop songs with a few broadway songs thrown in."

Golden Theater - View From The Back Rows  Mar 15 2024, 05:33:38 PM

It's SHOCKINGLY terrible for a theatre of that size. I've had to leave some shows at the intermission or BEG to change seats because the sound design is so poor I cannot follow dialogue. 

Scandal in Oz: Was 'Over the Rainbow' Plagiarized?  Mar 9 2024, 12:44:17 PM

It's possible and maybe even likely since back then things like songs/jokes/bits in vaudeville and early film were stolen and recycled pretty often. Even though Who's on First is associated with Abbott and Costello it's murky if it was even theirs.

But if you like stolen melodies right to the point of the legalities...boy do we have some Andrew Lloyd Webber jams for you.

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS Broadway Previews  Mar 8 2024, 10:29:31 PM

I wasn't even trying to diminish Grant's fame or number of followers. I was more surprised by this after the show because he did get "WOOOO!!! YAAAAAAAAHHH!!!" on every entrance, song, joke, etc like I've heard the girlies do for Tveitt, Jeremy Jordon at their shows. I've seen crazy fans and at least my audience didn't seem to be there "for" him.

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS Broadway Previews  Mar 8 2024, 05:20:28 PM

I saw this last night and agree with everyone's thoughts. The score has NOTHING memorable, nobody is insanely terrific just "way better than their material" at best for some, and the score is both too simple but too long to just be the simple story.

I'd cut the framing device entirely. It's there for basically no reason and those moments could be used to give our leads...any sense of character. Why does everyone only sing about traveling? Why doesn't our l

Bartlett Sher to Direct J.T. Rogers' CORRUPTION at Lincoln Center Theater  Mar 1 2024, 12:40:24 AM

I saw this last week and agree the script is meeeeeeessssyyyy. The cast are all talented but where they play multiple characters and the character types are all similar types (lots of politicians and journalists) it takes you a while to get the hang of when who is playing who. 

I also found the staging to be distracting and clumsy. As we left I asked my friend if he enjoyed watching three hours of Local 1 moving Ikea tables behind actors every 5 minutes. They have to cover a l

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?  Feb 25 2024, 11:36:58 AM

I can't think of any shows next season with a "guaranteed" Best Actress in a Musical winner. Who would she be afraid of losing to? 

FOLLIES Movie Adaptation in the Works!!  Feb 10 2024, 03:06:04 PM

Marlothom said: "This week's BEAUTIFUL episode of Feud: Capote v. The Swans, is how I imagine a Follies movie would be. I think the concept of a "documentary" being filmed about the party, could also provide interesting angles, ways of placing focus in certain parts of the party, and a bit of eavesdropping (hearing things we are not supposed to be hearing)."

The semi-recent revival at the National Theatre sort of used a documentary being made as a threa

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’  Feb 10 2024, 01:04:30 PM

BroadwayNYC2 said: "It’s become very popular amongst younger theatre fans who are way too online to hate Sutton Foster no matter what she does, so taking a lot of this with a grain of salt."

This. I was there and she wasn't perfect and isn't reinventing Lovett but she was very good and VERY funny and will be great once it's in her body more. I'm fine with not liking how Worst Pies is placed, but people seem to think she personally closed Beetlej

DOUBT 2024 Previews  Feb 6 2024, 02:36:02 PM

Just got an email that Keating is on again tonight.

I hope Tyne is well and it's nothing serious. 

The Search for Dolly Parton  Jan 28 2024, 01:20:38 PM

Wick3 said: "I hope it works out but somehow the 3 Dollys structure reminded me of the Cher Show."

And Summer: The Donna Summer Musical

Standby Line for COVENANT  Nov 13 2023, 01:29:56 PM

I saw it last Thursday and it's general admission, meaning the seats aren't assigned you sit wherever is available.

They had several seats saved/blocked off and at the last second (literally a minute before curtain) sat around 8 people. It was definitely a standby line vs just a group getting there late. There were still a few empty seats.

Sondheim/Ives HERE WE ARE @ The Shed  Nov 5 2023, 02:25:52 PM

The craziest part is he left to see Titanique for the second time! I love Titanique but what??

His theatre takes are...interesting.

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC  Nov 3 2023, 09:58:19 PM

I've sat in the balcony for most if not all Encores for at least a decade and that was the FIRST time I couldn't hear...well, anything.

Ensemble atmospheric (inner monologue??) tapping was VERY loud and outdid any time anyone opened their mouth. I thought when they'd sing we'd get more amplification but man did the band (trumpet especially) drowned out everything. I'm pretty familiar with the R&H catalog but still had no clue what song was what. 
<

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23  Oct 27 2023, 01:16:29 PM

You also have to take into account that most often it's "Name"+"in this show" more than just the name. Ticket sales dropped when Nathan Lane left the Addams Family meaning he was a name draw in that show/role. When he does straight plays like Butley, Angels in America, and Gary the tickets barely move. Radcliffe in a musical is a bigger draw than him doing Irish drama. Add in a very well reviewed revival of a musical by a beloved composer shortly after his death, and G

Two different productions of the same show on Broadway?  Oct 14 2023, 02:17:27 PM

It's been years and I don't remember all the details but didn't Ziegfeld open a second production of Showboat in NYC during the original run? Or maybe he just talked about it. I can't same to find anything but I know it was something I've read about before.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You