pixeltracker

What do the non profits pay a "star"?

What do the non profits pay a "star"?

PatrickDennis92
#1What do the non profits pay a "star"?
Posted: 1/24/15 at 7:56pm

I'm curious what non profits like RTC or MTC pay their star performers, if anyone knows? I imagine they pay under market value, but I don't know that... and if that's the case, the performers are essentially allowing themselves to be "used", as their reduced salaries are really a gift to the organization and as such should technically justify a write-off, except it's impossible to say what their value is. Like, what do you suppose Emma Stone is making? Or what about someone less "famous" like Kristin Chenoweth later this year in 20th century? What would they pay someone like her?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/24/15 at 7:59pm

$657.45 a day

Nateben2 Profile Photo
Nateben2
#2What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/24/15 at 8:25pm

I thought it was 657.57 a day.

In reality, it depends on the theater . . . and salaries are negotiated privately. Some non-profit pay everyone the same (let us say 10% of minimum), some negotiate a higher salary - but often, when doing non-profit, they know no individuals are getting rich, and everyone is paid less then a commercial project . . . so, they might feel out of place demanding a very high salary when others are getting paid minimum.

IloveBroadwAY3
#3What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/24/15 at 8:28pm

I would imagine that people like Kristin would do it for less they they usually do. Because they want to support the company and I would imagine this is how most start on Broadway

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#4What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/24/15 at 10:01pm

Support the community or win a Tony?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/24/15 at 10:23pm

Non-profit is not the same thing as "charity".

They get paid quite well. It's negotiated, but not that much different than what they'd get from any other contract. No one is performing from the goodness of their heart. (or almost no one)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#6What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/25/15 at 12:10am

A reminder that Not For Profits make huge amounts of money. The Metropolitan Opera and the NFL are leading the pack with the highest priced tickets in the country and yes, THEY are Not For Profit companies.

It is interesting to point out that most Broadway Not For Profits pay the ensemble less than Broadway Production Contract minimums and yet the ticket prices for patrons remain the same as For Profit producing.

Apparently, producing Not For Profit is the best way for producers to make a bundle and pay the actors less than Broadway minimum.

Updated On: 1/25/15 at 12:10 AM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#7What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/25/15 at 12:39am

I think it's strange that the OP considers Kristin Chenoweth to be less famous...she's basically royalty for the Broadway stage.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

PatrickDennis92
#8What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/25/15 at 1:53am

Well I used " " -- I don't think people would dispute Emma Stone as being more mainstream.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#9What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/25/15 at 9:13am

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but my impression was that Roundabout, MTC, and LCT all pay every actor the same union-minimum salary during the subscriber run, but that salaries are negotiated for extensions.

So I think Chenoweth is getting the union minimum for the first months of the run of Twentieth Century. I could see the salary issue go either way for Emma Stone (and for Alan Cumming's original run in this re-revival, given the special circumstances).

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Brick
#10What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/25/15 at 12:36pm

SMALL HIJACK, for a correction:

Producers are not "making a bundle" for a non-profit. They are getting paid their salary, and that's it - whether it's a hit or a flop. Their incentive for having hits keeping the company alive, by keeping the budget in the black.

So, when audiences pay the same ticket prices as a commercial production, the producers aren't pocketing the amount nor paying back investors with the amount that is saved paying actors scale; audiences are paying to keep the company alive, paying money into the coffers of the organization.

dramamama611
#11What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/25/15 at 12:48pm

That's what non-profit means. The organization benefits from success, not individuals.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

FindingNamo
#12What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/25/15 at 12:49pm

Non-profit is not the same thing as "charity".

see also: Football League, National

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#13What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/25/15 at 12:58pm

And, out of curiosity, how much do other Broadway theaters pay their main stars, on average? How much does a Kelli O'Hara or a Sutton Foster or a Matthew Morrison get paid?

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

dramamama611
#14What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/25/15 at 3:08pm

5-10k a week gives a nice ballpark.

Jonwo
#15What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/25/15 at 9:39pm

Keep in mind, not for profits have subscribers and often they will pay less for tickets than someone who isn't a subscriber and not for profits usually don't have premium prices either.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#16What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/26/15 at 9:04am

All this talk about paying actors less than the union minimum, and no one has pointed out that nonprofits like Roundabout and MTC are on a different union contract. They fall under the LORT agreement with Equity, which has lower minimums and other concessions than the Broadway a Production Contract used for commercial productions.

They are not paying "below the minimum." They have a different minimum, and like any union employer, they are not allowed to pay less than that.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

FutureGM
#17What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/26/15 at 10:53am

Hopefully this will help:

http://www.actorsequity.org/docs/rulebooks/LORT_Rulebook_13-17.pdf

That is the current LORT Rulebook for Equity. LCT, MTC, and Roundabout have their own sections at the end.

Gothampc
#18What do the non profits pay a
Posted: 1/26/15 at 11:06am

But you also have to factor in other things. For example, a non-profit will cover the housing expenses of a star. Put them up in a hotel or corporate apartment. Or they use their influence to get discounted rates. Elaine Stritch used to be the queen of getting a good rate from a high end hotel like the Carlyle.

Plus, you also have to realize that non-profits aren't as poor as everyone thinks. For example, Lincoln Center owns the for-profit garage underneath them. They have ways of raking in the money while still acting like they don't have enough to pay above minimum.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.