pixeltracker

Into The Woods Blu-Ray Features- Page 2

Into The Woods Blu-Ray Features

Showface
#25Into The Woods Blu-Ray Features
Posted: 2/27/15 at 7:25pm

I enjoyed what we have heard so far, and I can't wait for the whole thing!

However, I understand why it was cut. Rob Marshall said that it lessened the impact of Last Midnight, and I agree. Not because of the lyrics, but because this song is around the same length as Last Midnight, and Streep obviously kills it. Last Midnight is the build up and release of all of her emotions. In this song, it seems she has already started to build up her emotions to Last Midnight.

Also, it doesn't really fit in. It seems very bouncy, very "Moments in the Woods"-esque. I always imagined this song to be morelike the "Lament"...more sad. This, however, like "Moments in the Woods" just goes through all of the Witch's emotions in bump-bounce rhythm, which seems peculiar for the Witch somehow, no?

I love the song, though, and I love what it is doing to the Witch. I always assumed when I saw the film, that The Witch went through the phases of grief...isn't denial (what she's doing in this song) one of them? She's cold, sweet,sad, and delusional all at the same time in this song. It's brilliant.

And, yes! Please can Streep record a Sondheim album? Or can she participate in his next Birthday Concert? Or something?!?! She's already delivered my favorite interpretation of all the Witch's songs. I imagine she'll do the same with some other Sondheim songs...

Updated On: 2/27/15 at 07:25 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#26Into The Woods Blu-Ray Features
Posted: 2/28/15 at 3:05am

Here's a much longer clip of the song

....but the world goes 'round

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#27Into The Woods Blu-Ray Features
Posted: 3/5/15 at 6:20pm

The Sirius Broadway station has been playing the full song. It's a cool song, but definitely not one of Sondheim's best.

Showface
#28Into The Woods Blu-Ray Features
Posted: 3/5/15 at 9:15pm

I agree it's not one of the top Sondheim classics, but it is a very nice song, though, in my opinion. Like I expected, the song didn't have the Witch convinced Rapunzel would come back (which would ruin Last Midnight), but it instead had the Witch realize at the end that Rapunzel is never coming back...

Meryl Streep is genius at interpreting lyrics; she truly brings colors to lyric, like Sondheim said!

rattleNwoolypenguin
#29Into The Woods Blu-Ray Features
Posted: 3/5/15 at 9:55pm

So this is going to sound odd cause who am I to criticize Sondheim but
I think I just hoped lyrically it would turn into her realizing she has to give Jack to the giant to save Rapunzel even if Rapunzel doesn't love her and be more actively moving plot forward and showing more of her character. It's very short, just over 2 minutes minus the lament and while Meryl Streep is brilliantly finding nuance in it I can't help but feel like there should be more and could really build in a "Could I Leave You?" from Follies way.

That being said would that detract from the power of "Last Midnight"? To give the witch this song tonally in the story is just a strange decision altogether. Lyrically I absolutely understand the cut even though musically I really like it and melodically it sticks in the mind. And it absolutely should've been on the soundtrack as well!

Someone uploaded the song to youtube
here

broadwayboy223
#30Into The Woods Blu-Ray Features
Posted: 3/6/15 at 8:33am

I bought the sheet music awhile ago and I compared the track and my music and some of the lyrics on the sheet music are different. Anyone know why?