Hamilton's 10M Advance

whatever2
#50Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 4/2/15 at 5:01pm

I can't speak to what's accepted industry practice when promoters hype their shows, but from an accounting perspective Moustacha has a point ... no CPA would book group sales in the same revenue category as individual pre-sales until all contingencies in the group sale contract have lapsed.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Liza's Headband
#51Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 4/2/15 at 5:51pm

But, as a venture capitalist, you'd again be incorrect. They take into account ALL Accounts Receivables. Advance group sales would fall into A/R. 

whatever2
#52Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 4/2/15 at 9:43pm

liza: how could I be incorrect "again"? that was my first post in this thread.

(and only my second post in months and months.)

you seem awfully tense about being right on this ...

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#53Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 4/3/15 at 10:54am

From a GM/producing end, it's absolutely true that unpaid group sales are reported in their own area in wraps but NOT in the actual advance number.  They're not considered real money until they're paid, but they're certainly relevant to other decisions about promoting the show.  So sure, they've shared the $10M number with the press with caveats, but internally those pending groups won't be real money yet.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#54Hamilton's 10M Advance
Posted: 4/3/15 at 11:29am

Okay, so I have another question about the group sales. I'm just curious. I saw Hamilton twice at the Public and loved it. As I was watching, I thought it would be wonderful for school groups (junior high and high school). So I assumed that a large part of the group sales would be to schools. But someone else said that schools would not be purchasing tickets now for the next school year. Assuming that's true, what other groups would this be? People from the suburbs who come in for matinee day? I don't really see Hamilton appealing right off the bat to that constituency. Would scalpers and resellers buy tickets in groups?