News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Taryn

Taryn Profile Photo
Member Name: Taryn
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

1776 Broadway revival cast for 2021  Jul 9 2022, 06:37:09 PM

Returning to my BWW account just to talk about this! I saw the matinee today. I'm a huge fan of 1776 -- my mom saw the original Broadway production and the first tour (when it was in Boston, in fact), and so introduced me to the movie when I was a kid. I've seen a few productions over the years, including the Encores with Santino a few years back when I was still in NYC. So I came in with high familiarity. I was also pretty excited for the whole concept and the casting conceit; we'

Stephen Sondheim Dead at 91  Nov 26 2021, 07:57:50 PM

It's been ages since I was active on BWW; I moved away from NYC in 2016 and eventually left the industry professionally in 2018. But the news tonight compelled me to return to a community that would understand the very particular grief that comes from this loss. It's a sort of comfort to see so many familiar names and icons still here mourning the same loss I am.

There will never be another Sondheim. Ever. But there's something so particularly poignant at his passing coming

Performance livestreams during the outbreak  Mar 16 2020, 10:53:18 AM

Hello everybody! It's been a while. I haven't been as active a poster as I was after moving out of NYC and shifting my career out of the arts, but it's been so rough seeing the impact of this across all the arts, not only the theatre. (I know that they're not going to be much of a priority to the general public, and I also know the slim margins people are running on.) I wanted to feel like I was doing something, so in lieu of having tons of money myself to just donate to everyone, and knowing that a lot of institutions are looking hard into livestreaming, I started to collect all the news that I could about companies across the arts doing livestreams of either cancelled performances or archived ones to replace their live performances. And here's what I have:

The Arts Under Quarantine

It's not a ton so far, although I know a lot of theatre companies are trying hard to work this out, so I'll be keeping an eye out as much as I can to keep this updated. There's also a link in the Welcome/Instructions tab on that document to take people to a submission form where they can let me know about other things to add to the list. So please feel free to make use of that!

Hang in there, everybody.

MITB Tony's Reactions  Jun 13 2019, 05:51:00 PM

SonofRobbieJ said: "Joe Iconis is a first-time Broadway composer with BMC and his score was the only nomination for the show. Michael in the Bathroom is NOT Hello, Dolly or Chandelier in terms of a song that has truly broken through as some kind of cultural touchstone most people have heard. And the producers refused them a performing slot of that very same song and then did a full length parody of said song without noting the show for which it's score is nominat

Michael Arden helmed Roundabout Reading of Parade  Dec 30 2018, 12:32:00 PM

broadwayboy222 said: "As brilliantly talented as both Diamond and Platt are I can't help but echo the sentiment that they just are far too young for these roles."

How old do people think these people were when this happened? Leo Frank was 31 when he died and Lucille was four years younger than him. By the logic that Ben Platt is too young (at 6 years' difference), you could say that Jake Gyllenhaal is too old (at 7 years'

Ntozake Shange has passed away at 70  Oct 27 2018, 10:58:08 PM

What a huge loss.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/10/ntozake-shange-writer-of-for-colored-girls-has-passed-away.html

Steven Universe fans...Christine Ebersole to join Patti Lupone in Steven Universe?  Jul 23 2018, 02:03:37 PM

Glancing through their IMDB credits, I don't think it's either of their first.

Steven Universe fans...Christine Ebersole to join Patti Lupone in Steven Universe?  Jul 23 2018, 01:22:53 PM

I've been a huge Steven Universe fan for a couple years now -- it's such a heartfelt, intelligent show, and I'm really glad it's on the air for kids. (It's got a ton of wonderful LGBTQI themes and representation, which makes sense, given the creator is part of the community.) I remember the moment hearing Yellow Diamond (LuPone's character) speak for the first time and having a record scratch in my head like "Wait, was that really...?" I'm thrilled that t

NYMF 2018  Jun 14 2018, 05:43:37 PM

I don't know if I'll get down there for it, but I'm rooting for my friends doing Peter, Who?, which played at the PIT years ago as The Spidey Project that was written and produced in under 30 days to open before the Broadway musical. The original project was a blast to be a part of.

Miscast 2018  Mar 30 2018, 01:33:20 PM

Victoria Clark - "Be A Lion"

Alex Newell - "Being Good Isn't Good Enough"

Miscast 2018  Mar 29 2018, 07:41:02 PM

Auli'i Cravalho - "Something's Coming"

Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?  Mar 28 2018, 05:53:44 PM

I saw his La Cage back in London before it transferred and honestly loved it and loved his performance in it. But I could also tell watching it that it could very possibly be a pretty divisive performance, so I've never been too surprised at the detractors.

Miscast 2018  Mar 28 2018, 02:41:07 PM

Jayne Houdyshell’s Tribute to 2018 MisCast honoree Laurie Metcalf – “It Only Takes a Moment”

Robbie Fairchild - "The Music and the Mirror"

James Monroe Iglehart - "Satisfied"

Miscast 2018  Mar 27 2018, 07:49:31 PM

Videos are starting to come out!

Katrina Lenk - "If I Were A Rich Man"

Jeremy Jordan - "She Used To Be Mine"

Gavin Lee, Ethan Slater, and Wesley Taylor - "You Could Drive A Person Crazy"

Caissie Levy - "Shiksa Goddess"

First Look at PRETTY WOMAN  Feb 22 2018, 02:46:39 PM

justasmalltownboy13 said: "Can't we just go and enjoy the show without having to worry if it is politically correct or not? Isn't that what theatre is? Being able to escape the real world for a couple hours and enjoy someone else's story."

Really? Theatre is entirely about escapism and not any sort of examination or reflection of society? It's inappropriate to suggest that art bears any sort of responsibility to be thoughtful in its content?

I

Mad Ones Miles for Mary at Playwrights  Jan 14 2018, 12:47:37 PM

I'm so happy to see The Mad Ones in a prominent Off-Broadway venue. I've loved their amazing work for years; Samuel & Alasdair: A Personal History of the Robot War remains one of the most remarkable theatrical experiences I've ever had. I've had the pleasure to see all four of their plays. The specificity and naturalism of their work is truly incredible.

Google Vetting Bway Ticket Resellers  Jan 11 2018, 08:59:51 AM

I mean, these websites don't have to listen to Google if they don't want to. Google isn't a law enforcement agency. They just have to follow guidelines if they want to use Google's advertising service. This is far from the first guideline Google has for its advertisers.

It's not just good publicity. It's good customer service to its users. They already have guidelines about how advertisers can't have copy in their ads that are misleading/a

What does one wear to a show at 54 Below?  Dec 11 2017, 01:52:50 PM

My understanding is that it's fairly standard for a glass of wine to cost about the same in a restaurant as the bottle might retail. It's worth noting that 54 Below pours about a glass and a half rather than a standard 5 oz glass.

Broadway Casting Director Fired for Sexual Misconduct  Dec 5 2017, 05:30:44 PM

John Adams said: "To be honest, I'm not sure that summarily firing people in these situations is really the best solution. If it's "right" for some (like those in Politics, or the Arts), shouldn't it be "right" for all? What would the consequences be if this were applied in the world of Finance? How would our economy fare if men in the world of business and finance were summarily fired at the same rate as those in Politics or the Arts? Certainly, the c

54 Below Seating  Nov 21 2017, 07:53:19 PM
  1. Bar Rail for me, but this comes down strongly to preference. I'd rather a row or two behind those first Ringside seats, just because I don't personally like being quite that close and having to look up. Some people really like that, though! Hence: preference.
  2. The physical layout is exactly the same, it's just that some higher-priced shows are mapped with additional sections.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You