Hamilton spoilers

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#25Hamilton spoilers
Posted: 3/29/15 at 9:59pm

By stating that you feel that students are being short changed, it implies that there is a problem or situation that needs to be remedied.

A theater board isn't the place to have the discussion about education in America. We should be happy that there's many amazing pieces of theater, both classic and modern, that can be used in the classroom to enhance learning.

ZannaDo
#26Hamilton spoilers
Posted: 3/29/15 at 10:04pm

This thread is about Hamilton "spoilers". I think what I, and some others, are saying is that if there is anything that happens in the show that surprises you, plot-wise, you didn't learn much US History in your schooling. I mean, at least most people should know the basic facts like that Hamilton created the National Bank, that he was the first Treasury Secretary, that he wrote the bulk of The Federalist Papers, and the duel with Burr, etc.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#27Hamilton spoilers
Posted: 3/29/15 at 10:15pm

In which After Eight forgot what he was writing about in the span of consecutive comments.

"Something is very wrong here."

--

"What situation are you referring to?

And why should that situation be in need of change?"

--

FIN

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

After Eight
#28Hamilton spoilers
Posted: 3/29/15 at 10:31pm

Jnb,

I forgot nothing.

It seemed the poster was alluding to a problem while maintaining there wasn't any.

It's called seeking clarification.

Try to pay attention to what you read.

FIN

Updated On: 3/29/15 at 10:31 PM

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#29Hamilton spoilers
Posted: 3/30/15 at 12:59am

"They totally still teach it, unless your friend went to school in Texas in which case Jesus on a T-Rex killed Hamilton."

That post was a long way back, but I can assure you that that is definitely the way we learned about it down here in the Lone Star State. Hamilton spoilers

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#30Hamilton spoilers
Posted: 3/30/15 at 11:28am

Ohh After Eight, when you're done lecturing on Reading Comprehension you can try practicing it yourself. You were criticizing "the 'so-called' educators" and oncemorewithfeeling2 was referring to the situation that you yourself were just criticizing in the above post. If the educators aren't even worth being called educators, but 'so-called' educators, then surely that is a situation in need of change?

Two alternatives remain: either you believe that calling our educators "'so-called' educators" is not a situation worth addressing and remain puzzled by how what you have alleged is critical -- or you have a dissociative disorder and literally do not acknowledge what you yourself said.

Returning to the topic at hand, I do think there is merit in terms of "HAMILTON spoilers" in the sense of avoiding spoiling what choices Miranda & Co. have made in their telling of his story. The story itself is history, but as Miranda seems very keen to point out with this show, how you tell the history is very much the point.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

After Eight
#31Hamilton spoilers
Posted: 3/30/15 at 12:00pm

Obviously, you're too dense to see the inherent disconnect, not to mention absurdity, in that poster's statement. Too dense for me, or anyone else to explain it to you.

OK, you're a dodo. You're also an aggressively obnoxious one.

If our schools are going to churn out dodos, can't they at least make them of a more pleasant variety?