pixeltracker

Best Revival of a Musical - Page 3

Best Revival of a Musical

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#50Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 4:27pm

"* Agree on OTTC. As for OTT I didn't like the thin book and all the dancing, was so bored my companion and I left at intermission! The only show of the 10 shows I've seen in NYC so far in 2015 where I left out of boredom. But that's just me"

Yeah, if you are not big into dance a show where at *least* 50% of the appeal is the dance probably would be boring.  No problem with that (even if I am big into dance.)  I think the people who find American in Paris have a similar issue.

Interesting--while I haven't read the reviews yet, I noticed the current New Yorker has their theatre critic doing Gigi (and a few other plays,) and the dance critic reviewing AiP.

sctrojan65
#51Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 6:35pm

^^^This.  If dancing isn't your thing, AiP will be much the same as OTT.  I agree.

lynnetoomey
#52Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 6:45pm

I'm rooting for "On The Town".  It just all felt so right, yet never too reverent or condescending.  I think it's gonna be a very tight race, with "On The Town" pulling way from the pack in a few weeks.

sctrojan65
#53Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 6:50pm

I'd certainly be okay with that, lynne, if it happens.  I loved it.  What did you think of Tony Yazbeck?

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#54Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 7:20pm

Lots of OTT sentiment here and I detect some King And I backlash brewing, or no real defenders - the been-there done-that aspect for Lincoln Center and Bartlett Sher may play in OTT and OTTC's favor.  I am not a big fan of period dance, especially in the volume that OTT and AAIP presents it (although just listening to the dance orchestrations of Bernstein and Gershwin live is an educational experience in itself) so I lean more towards younger revivals like OTTC and SS. It was a great season for musical revivals - too bad they all cant be represented in the nominations. 

Up In One

sctrojan65
#55Best Revival of a Musical
Posted: 4/18/15 at 7:42pm

^^^I agree.  So many great shows this season.   Even if one or another doesn't strike one's fancy as much as others do.

And don't get me wrong.  I love The King and I.  It's almost the perfect musical in so many ways.  It's almost a full proof hit whenever it's done on Broadway.  You get someone who sings and acts to Broadway-caliber levels in a show like King, it will always be well-received, and mentioned come Tony time.  Actually I saw and loved the Lou Diamond Phillips version to be honest.  And glad it won revival.  "I Have Dreamed" from that production is one of the most beautiful renditions I've ever heard. 

I don't see it as being so much backlash though, but more like, 'Okay, The King and I has opened now, and it's amazing!'  

And as it gets talked up more and more, it's inevitable others will come in and say, 'But don't forget about OTT or OTTC, which also got great reviews!'  

So now they're getting talked up again too.

To be honest, I almost wonder if opening this past week doesn't actually give TKaI an edge. It's so beloved, and doing so well out of the gates.  And it's the freshest in everyone's mind.

I guess I will continue to favor OTTC because it's something a little different.  And it is an awesome production.  

Likewise, OTT might not always get the same love that those from the Rodgers and Hammerstein collection will always get.  And this version of OTT is spectacular (IMO), as well.

Seeing either OTTC or OTT take it this time around would be nice.

At the end of the day though, a great season, so whichever revival gets it will be deserving.

Videos