pixeltracker

Barbra Stresisand gets a standing ovation at American in Paris performance!- Page 2

Barbra Stresisand gets a standing ovation at American in Paris performance!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#25Barbra Stresisand gets a standing ovation at American in Paris performance!
Posted: 5/5/15 at 11:04am

"Reminds me of the story that Lucy and Desi were at a performance when everyone started standing a clapping. They thought the Queen had arrived so they stood and clapped too until they figured out it was for them. "

Great story emo.

....but the world goes 'round

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#26Barbra Stresisand gets a standing ovation at American in Paris performance!
Posted: 5/5/15 at 11:19am

I guess if I saw Barbra every day I would have plenty of other opportunities to show my respect and admiration for her.  Since this would most likely be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I would take it.

It did not interrupt or disrupt the show.  (Many of the performers were probably equally thrilled to be there with her that night).  It did not take away any attention from the performers- it's not like the audience said, "sorry we can only applaud once per evening).  Life goes on before and after the performance- or should we refrain from drinking in the bar, conversing with friends or reading the playbill- just sit in reverential meditation in preparation for the performance?

As a spontaneous act I think it's heart-warming to know some people inspire such love.

And hell, if it was Liza I'd definitely do the same!

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#27Barbra Stresisand gets a standing ovation at American in Paris performance!
Posted: 5/5/15 at 11:40am

I would never in a billion years give a standing ovation to someone who enacted "Don't ask, Don't tell" and signed DOMA into law. Rather, I'd throw a tomato.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#28Barbra Stresisand gets a standing ovation at American in Paris performance!
Posted: 5/5/15 at 12:29pm

Lovebwy, I bet you would have stood up if it was Patti Lupone. Barbra Stresisand gets a standing ovation at American in Paris performance!

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#29Barbra Stresisand gets a standing ovation at American in Paris performance!
Posted: 5/5/15 at 1:34pm

LOL, no, but I would be tempted.

Barbra Stresisand gets a standing ovation at American in Paris performance!

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#30Barbra Stresisand gets a standing ovation at American in Paris performance!
Posted: 5/5/15 at 1:40pm

The night I saw MOTOWN the company announced at the curtain call that Smokey Robinson was in the house and pointed him out in the Center Orchestra. Since most people were already standing for the company, anyways, he got a de facto Standing Ovation. But I think that would have been deserved, given the context.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#31Barbra Stresisand gets a standing ovation at American in Paris performance!
Posted: 5/5/15 at 2:45pm

Berry Gordy was at Motown in Los Angeles last week.

No standing O.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#32Barbra Stresisand gets a standing ovation at American in Paris performance!
Posted: 5/5/15 at 3:24pm

"The night I saw MOTOWN the company announced at the curtain call that Smokey Robinson was in the house and pointed him out in the Center Orchestra. Since most people were already standing for the company, anyways, he got a de facto Standing Ovation. But I think that would have been deserved, given the context."

Without question it would have been deserved.  After all, the show is in no small part about his life (along with a number of others) and his contributions are a part why you enjoyed the show you just watched and why you are applauding.  This form of appreciation seems entirely appropriate and the curtain call is the right time to do it.  In fact, a little surprised they didn't bring him up on stage unless he asked them not to. 

A random celebrity, not so much.  The standing ovation these days is given so often and for so little, it's almost lost its significance anyway.  If someone wants to stand up and applaud, who cares.

Videos