The Family on ABC

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#50The Family on ABC
Posted: 5/18/16 at 8:46am

EricMontreal22 said: "I still am confused about Adam--if the girlfriend just suddenly realized he was in the shed all this time?  Wha?

I went to The A.V. Club to get some closure on that one. One of the commenters had written that, in one scene, Jane had heard the sound of kicking coming from the shed. I'd already deleted my DVR of the episode by that time and couldn't check, so I just took that for granted.

Also--I assumed WIlla killed the reporter--but you guys think it was Danny??

I don't know about others, but I do think it was Danny for a couple of reasons. Primarily because that scenario would have finally given Danny a decent story arc had there been a Season 2. Secondly, I believe he killed Bridey after he left Willa in the bar - he was drunk and angry... And he'd slept with Bridey, too but she never said a word to him about Adam/Ben. As angry as he was, he wouldn't kill his own sister, but Bridey? In a drunken rage? (EDIT: or perhaps he killed her accidentally while drunk. Danny often went missing after a binge, and no one ever asked him where he'd been.) I could see it.

I know Grant Show's not a huge star or anything but did they really hire a recognizable name like him for, what, three scenes?

E
"

I think there was a lot of wasted talent this season possibly because of the thinking that there would be a Season 2, where that talent would be utilized. Zach Gilford and Rupert Graves pretty much sat on the sidelines this whole season waiting for a cue that never came.

Had there been a Season 2, with Adam back and Ben revealed at the end of Season 1, I could see how there would have been more opportunity for Danny, (ex)-Governor Lang, and John Warren to get some quality screen time.

If the show hadn't moved at such a painfully slow pace to reveal answers to the mysteries (even to the point of forcing the peripheral characters to be complete buffoons in order to drag the story out longer), we might have seen these actors better utilized in this season.

Updated On: 5/18/16 at 08:46 AM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#51The Family on ABC
Posted: 5/18/16 at 3:51pm

Ah--I'm usually a sucker for reading everything from AV Club about shows I watch but didn't even realize they were covering this--thanks for that (an A rating?  hrmmm). 

Agreed with you about both Zach and Rupert--two actors I really love who seemed barely to even be on screen.  And I think you're prob right actually about Danny killing Bridey--while the show wanted to imply Willa was guilty (didn't they cut to a shot of her after the reveal?) that would make much more sense for potential story next year.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#52The Family on ABC
Posted: 5/18/16 at 8:06pm

Season 2 would have definitely focused on the Warrens. Can't say this show was good, but it sure was fun watching Allen chew some scenery. 

http://tvline.com/2016/05/15/the-family-season-2-spoilers-cancelled-abc/