pixeltracker

Daveed Diggs Set to Depart HAMILTON on Friday- Page 11

Daveed Diggs Set to Depart HAMILTON on Friday

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#250Daveed Diggs Set to Depart HAMILTON on Friday
Posted: 7/20/16 at 7:26pm

aaaaaa15 said: "Just because there is something special about Daveed does not mean he can't be easily replaced in this part. Andrew Chappelle seems to have lived up to Daveed's performance. I haven't heard reports on Seth Stewart in the part so can't comment on that.

The first time I saw Hamilton, I saw Andrew Chapelle play Mulligan/Madison and he was brilliant in those roles.   I can only imagine what he is like as Lafayette/Jefferson.  Maybe need a 6th trip and a second job to support checking him out!

I had the chance to see Seth as Lafayette/Jefferson last night and this is solely based on my personal opinion.  I'm not a theater critic or a drama professor.  Just a retail gal immersing herself in theater this year.

I PMed a poster this  earlier, so I will use some of what I wrote:  

Before the performance started, both my husband I agreed that Seth would have swag in the role.  A week ago, we watched PBS's "Great Performances-In The Heights: Chasing Broadway" and based on his interview in the documentary is where we came to this conclusion.  He talked about growing up playing football and how when he decided to dance people challenged his sexuality but he didn't let it get to him.  He had that attitude to get through this.  I enjoyed his Lafayette as soon as he came out because his voice was as close the the cast recording as it could sound.  Being someone who listened to that first for 3 months before seeing the show, unfortunately has kind of "trained my ear" to hear it just that way.  Seth played Lafayette very well, comedic timing, rapped fast & great. Leaped from the table, just like Daveed did.  I felt he was very good as Jefferson as well with all the swag for the role and the sound but honestly...he needs the hair to complete the role for me, LOL!  I know, sound crazy.  But being that that the Jefferson role is so extravagant with the ensemble being handed white gloves to dance in, I prefer the outlandish hair to match the purple outfit.  The outrageousness from head to toe just fits.

That's my contribution on Seth.  

Updated On: 7/21/16 at 07:26 PM

jdra
#251Daveed Diggs Set to Depart HAMILTON on Friday
Posted: 7/20/16 at 11:41pm

aaaaaa15 said: "Yep, his looks will help him to get TV/Film parts that other Broadway performers wouldn't. He is talented and charismatic but let's not act like he's getting these parts solely because he's more capable than anyone else that may star in Hamilton over the years. He's young, attractive and a popular name of the moment. His talent is the icing on the cake. "

I don't think it is because he is more capable. I think he has an unquantifiable special something that is not that common even among highly talented/ very attractive Broadway performers.