The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms

GreatPorcelainWay Profile Photo
GreatPorcelainWay
#1The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/15/16 at 3:03pm

We're back! We've slowed down our schedule for the summer, and are posting one #BwayBathrooms review per month.

Here for your reading pleasure is our review of the restrooms at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre!

http://www.thegreatporcelainway.com/single-post/2016/07/15/Serving-You-Pie-on-a-PooPoo-Platter-The-Brooks-Atkinson

We love hearing your thoughts, stories and insights on your experiences at the theaters we review, so be sure to let us know in this thread, or on Twitter, Facebook or Snapchat

Happy Flushing!

The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms

"It's a privelage to pee."

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#2The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/15/16 at 3:49pm

I can't believe your friend's wait was only 12 minutes for the ladies room at intermission. The ladies room situation at the BA is reprehensible and once you do make it through the magical doors, you're correct that the layout is old and absurd.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

GreatPorcelainWay
#3The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/15/16 at 7:32pm

I'm surprised to hear that 12 minutes is a short wait at intermission! That only leaves 3 minutes at either end of the intermission break!

"Reprehensible" is a word choice I can get behind.

thanks for reading!!!! :)

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/15/16 at 9:46pm

I hope the theatre owners are taking notes.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#5The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/15/16 at 10:27pm

GreatPorcelainWay said: "I'm surprised to hear that 12 minutes is a short wait at intermission! That only leaves 3 minutes at either end of the intermission break!

"Reprehensible" is a word choice I can get behind.

thanks for reading!!!! :)
"

I've seen fights practically break out and very grown women just flat out cut the line because somehow the concept a line didn't seem fair to them. With an audience that's 80% women (more?) it's really an awful scenario. I also can't believe the men's room has been renovated! After the line the appearance of the ladies room (and its tiny saloon stalls) adds insult to injury. 

Notreallysilent 2
#6The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/16/16 at 12:24am

Yeah the bathroom there is insane. Both when I saw spring awakening and waitress there they ended up making the boys bathroom unisex

GreatPorcelainWay
#7The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/16/16 at 9:35am

I really like to think that they're trying, and obviously there's nothing that can be done in the middle of a run, which is really unfortunate. It makes me wonder, though, the theaters housed the same number of people (relatively) back when they were built... so why is a higher percentage using the restrooms?

I suspect the culprit is allowing drinks in the auditorium. 

10086sunset
#8The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/16/16 at 11:25am

Welcome back guys! Love your reviews.

Just from looking, the B.A. ladies room line is shameful. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#9The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/16/16 at 12:05pm

Aren't a lot of theatres having intermission last 18 to 20 minutes now, but only telling people it's 15, for this very reason?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

GreatPorcelainWay
#10The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/16/16 at 12:14pm

I'm glad you enjoy the reviews! I was really surprised by th B.A., especially since I find Nederlander theaters have scored pretty high in the past! 

GreatPorcelainWay
#11The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/16/16 at 12:16pm

LizzieCurry said: "Aren't a lot of theatres having intermission last 18 to 20 minutes now, but only telling people it's 15, for this very reason?

"

I've really got to start looking into that. looks like I've got to get a stopwatch...

bfreak
#12The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/16/16 at 12:29pm

LizzieCurry said: "Aren't a lot of theatres having intermission last 18 to 20 minutes now, but only telling people it's 15, for this very reason?

For some reason, I feel that intermission had gone by faster and faster. I saw The Crucible the other night and intermission felt like 7-8 minutes max. I couldn't believe it and could've used a few more minutes, especially for a show that long and dense.

Notreallysilent 2
#13The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/16/16 at 12:33pm

"Actually when I went to see waitress the intermission lasted 20 minutes.

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#14The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/16/16 at 3:06pm

Notreallysilent 2 said: "LizzieCurry said: "Aren't a lot of theatres having intermission last 18 to 20 minutes now, but only telling people it's 15, for this very reason?

Actually when I went to see waitress the intermission lasted 20 minutes.
"

I think that's about right. I noticed that after the first bell rang, it was well over 5 minutes before the next one did.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#15The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/16/16 at 9:57pm

Men were told to let women go instead when I went  to see Waitress. That didn't go over well. Then women yelled at men for entering. Twas a disaster. 

KathyNYC2
#16The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/17/16 at 12:16am

I was there another night when the women used the men's room. It went very smoothly and everyone cooperated...and most of the men were out of the area by then already and the women were just grateful to have the opportunity.

It's just a very small theater in general. The desk that head ushers do their paperwork is sitting in the upstairs lobby right next to the concession area...in full public view. There is just not a lot of space to expand anywhere for anything.

That said, the ladies bathroom are the cleanest I have seen around. They definitely get cleaned a number of times during each show and there is a cold water drinking cooler in there as well.

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#17The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/17/16 at 1:43am

Honestly this isn't just a problem for this particular theater. It's a problem for every one I've been to and it's a huge problem that doesn't have an easy fix 

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#18The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/17/16 at 2:11am

KathyNYC2 said: "I was there another night when the women used the men's room. It went very smoothly and everyone cooperated...and most of the men were out of the area by then already and the women were just grateful to have the opportunity."

Glad they have figured out how to ease the line by allowing women to use the men's room. I was there a couple of times (pre-Tony's) and there was a grouchy older usher who freaked out when any women tried to use the men's room. It is just a necessity with that small a bathroom and a show with an even higher than average female audience.  They cannot control the lack of space/bathroom size but they can control how they deal with the problem. 

I do agree that the restrooms are clean but man the stalls are ridiculously tiny. 

GreatPorcelainWay
#19The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/17/16 at 11:09am

Leaf Coneybear said: "Honestly this isn't just a problem for this particular theater. It's a problem for every one I've been to and it's a huge problem that doesn't have an easy fix 

"

Well, that's kind of the point of our blog! 

I do wish there was something to be done, but I don't know where that money would come from.

I'm sorry to admit I'm jealous I wasn't there when BroadwayNYC 2 saw all that drama happen-- would've made for a good story in the review! 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#20The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/17/16 at 12:08pm

GreatPorcelainWay said: "I really like to think that they're trying, and obviously there's nothing that can be done in the middle of a run, which is really unfortunate. It makes me wonder, though, the theaters housed the same number of people (relatively) back when they were built... so why is a higher percentage using the restrooms?

I suspect the culprit is allowing drinks in the auditorium. 

"

I think the same percentage of the audience is still using the bathroom as back then, but what has changed is the ratio between men and women. You could probably say more men were going to the theatre back when they theaters were built. It was probably a 50:50 ratio. Now it's overwhelmingly women. The solution would be expanding the women's bathroom taking away from the men's.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

mpkie
#21The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/18/16 at 11:33am

The current Brooks Atkinson bathroom situation is pretty fubar. I was pretty sure you'd give it like 1 toilet paper roll (at least the facilities are clean)!

Not sure how they could resolve it. They would need to expand down because the restrooms are all upstairs in the same area as the concessions and memorabilia, creating one chaotic cluster. I agree with others that female-to-male ratio and drinks (and AC? it's always so cold in theaters!) are probably culprits. Haven't been there for Waitress yet, but I imagine it's even more skewed towards female patrons.

The St. James Theatre took advantage to make the ladies' room massive, and as a result it's the only theater where I've seen there being a [reasonable] line for the men's room while not having any for the women's... And it's pretty awesome!

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#22The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/18/16 at 3:04pm

Theatres that have the men's and women's restrooms back to back can pretty easily take from the men's to expand the women's, like the Sondheim did. This would be impossible at the Brooks Atkinson and many others. 

To add another strike to the BA, apparently the theatre is having real air conditioning problems lately. Patrons have tweeted about it as has Keala Settle, at length. Sheesh. 

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#24The Brooks Atkinson Bathrooms
Posted: 7/19/16 at 2:26pm

There were many nights during the Rock Of Ages run that my friend and I would go next door to the Mean Fiddler during intermission and split a beer and use their bathroom.  

Even after the show the lines were insane.  Will Swenson let us use the men's Room one night.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."