Miss Saigon helicopter question- Page 2

Miss Saigon helicopter question

Skywalker3
#25Miss Saigon helicopter question
Posted: 10/20/16 at 5:59am

broadwayghost1 said: "check this out

https://youtu.be/jVdGqqRP73c

"

I believe this is from the London production. Near the end, you can see the sets on the right. And it looks like the sets used in the Dutch and London production.  

Also the stage manager is talking British..

broadwayrocks2
#26Miss Saigon helicopter question
Posted: 10/20/16 at 7:24am

Off topic but another interesting thing about the Saigon set was that it had one of the steepest and tallest raked sets ever. It went from 0 " downstage to almost 6 feet by the time it got to the upstage wall. That could not have been easy to perform on 8 times a week. 

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#27Miss Saigon helicopter question
Posted: 10/20/16 at 8:20am

That video is definately the london revival. Personally I loved the projection combo. the projection shows the chopper flying in really fast. and at first I thought, dam, no helicopter, then the drop flies out and there it is, to me it worked very well.

I also remember being under the stage at a drury lane theatre tour when they were having a rehearsal above, we just happened to be there in the helicopter scene and the sound effects under the stage were deafening.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#28Miss Saigon helicopter question
Posted: 10/20/16 at 11:14am

I could see that working.  So the audience is not expecting a helicopter after seeing a projection and then it's revealed. The audience would probably applaud at that moment too.

The Broadway is a BIG theatre with a big stage, but surprisingly there is very little wing space.  Every prop was either hung or stuck up against a wall in a corner.  The Ho Chi Minh statue was against a wall upstage in a corner.  The car was folded in half on an opposite corner.  If the new set is bigger than before they will have even less wing space.