LimelightMike
#1THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 7:50am

Post 'eml here, gang!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#2THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 10:21am

Crossing my fingers for some great reviews! Hoping to see this once tickets go on sale through May!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 8:02pm

http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/theater-review-natasha-pierre-on-broadway.html
VULTURE - Jesse Green

Updated On: 11/14/16 at 08:02 PM

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#4THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 8:16pm

The Vulture says exactly what I feel about this show. Solid review. I agree with all they say about it.

ILoveYouPatina Profile Photo
ILoveYouPatina
#6THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 8:39pm

I'm expecting raves for Amber Gray. I love this show and I'm hoping for the best. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#8THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 10:05pm

Without having to read every review, is this getting good notices? 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#9THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 10:33pm

More or less. A few raves (NYTimes, Hollywood Reporter, Time Out NY) and most of the reviews have some problems with the storytelling but praise the direction, design, and cast- Groban especially.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#10THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 10:39pm

They seem to encapsulate how I felt: the plot/storytelling is pretty dense, gives you a headache, and you don't really come away with a concise understanding of everything that just happened... but the production, cast, and design are overwhelmingly good.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#11THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 10:58pm

Wow, that's an all out rave from Isherwood. He said he liked it more than Hamilton. 

Updated On: 11/14/16 at 10:58 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#12THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 11:00pm

It was from Isherwood, but yes, indeed.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 11:01pm

Eh. I can understand that. I really dislike Lin as an actor/singer. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#14THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 11:03pm

RippedMan said: "Eh. I can understand that. I really dislike Lin as an actor/singer. "

which has to do with these reviews how...

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

broadwayguy91
#15THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/14/16 at 11:16pm

gypsy101 said: "RippedMan said: "Eh. I can understand that. I really dislike Lin as an actor/singer. "

which has to do with these reviews how...

"

RippedMan is saying that maybe Brentley / Isherwood (whoever reviewed Hamilton) may have not liked Hamilton as much as he should because of Lin being a weak singer/actor. (I haven't read the NY times review for Hamilton, so I'm just guessing that's what RippedMan meant)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#16THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/15/16 at 12:59am

Yeah, that's all I'm saying. I can't get on the Hamilton train because of his performance/vocals. I can appreciate all the other parts of the show - and his writing - but I just would prefer to see the show with someone else. That's all. 

Now back to The Great Comet.... can't wait to see it on Broadway... 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#17THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/15/16 at 1:10am

totally different reviewer for this show. but Lin has moved on so you can feel free to see it whenever you want.

congrats to Great Comet on the reviews! i love this show and was just listening to the recording earlier tonight at 8 in honor of the Broadway opening.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#18THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/15/16 at 1:35am

Thanks for your blessing! 

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#19THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/15/16 at 2:31am

Some people are just A Holes 

On topic,  Great reviews and a love letter from

the times 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

neonlightsxo
#20THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/15/16 at 10:38am

I understand negative reviews. I don't understand deeply contemptuous reviews like the ones Mark Kennedy and Jesse Green wrote. Especially in this week in America, it feels like they're getting out their rage on Great Comet. To each his own, I guess.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#21THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/15/16 at 10:57am

I think Jesse Green is an excellent writer. I don't understand his review for COMET. He is mad at the show for not being true to the spirit of Tolstoy? Huh? If you want Tolstoy go read the book.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

neonlightsxo
#22THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/15/16 at 11:03am

Agreed completely. He also seems to miss the point that the style is purposely a strange juxtaposition from the content.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#23THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 11/15/16 at 11:09am

That point of view confused me as well. It's fine if you don't like it, but the dizzying and heavily stylized nature of the show was was Malloy and Chavkin were going for. It seems apparent from their comments on the show that they weren't really looking to create a deep, probing piece. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

HeleneIsASlut
#24THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 12/11/16 at 1:17am

Has anyone seen any of the covers this week? Courtney Bassett  debuted as Mary a few days ago, Josh Canfield has been on for Anatole for the past three days, and Lauren Zakrin made her Natasha debut tonight. 

PaulWom
#25THE GREAT COMET Reviews
Posted: 3/27/17 at 6:10pm

Updating the thread bc not sure why the previews thread is continuing to be used...