pixeltracker

The 50 best Broadway songs ever?- Page 2

The 50 best Broadway songs ever?

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#25The 50 best Broadway songs ever?
Posted: 12/7/16 at 11:45pm

The Princess Theater musicals are now a century old. In 2027, if Broadway and the rest of the nation are still around, The centennial of Show Boat should draw a lot of attention to the development of the musical theater. It is only natural for the young to prize the songs to which they grew up the most. As they grow older and experience more of the classics, they will make room for many of the older songs. 

I was very pleased to see "Ol' Man River" given such a lofty spot. When I first heard Frank Sinatra sing this song at the conclusion of the Jerome Kern biopic, I was appalled that a skinny white boy would even attempt to sing a song reserved for African American bass, and the multi-acclaimed Paul Robeson in particular. 

But Ol' Blue Eyes kept the song in his catalog and came to sing it very well, for a white man. At a Carnegie Hall benefit, as corroborated by daughter Nancy, he brought tears to the eyes of Martin Luther King.

Ranger Tom
#26The 50 best Broadway songs ever?
Posted: 12/8/16 at 12:14am

Interesting.  Not bad.  But "Totally F***ked" above "Another Hundred People," "At the Ballet," and "The Impossible Dream" is not only wrong but satanic.

Videos