The View Upstairs?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#50The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/16/17 at 9:34am

It was pretty packed on Sunday evening. I got a discount ticket about 4 days before. The only seats left were the ones in the upper left corner of the theater. My seat was last row center left aisle seat. I moved to the end seat in the front row of the empty section. There were also 5 seats available in the back two center rows.

Only obstruction was when they were leaninig against the pole during a few scenes. No big deal. The actors come into the audience several times.

An aside....one of the understudies evidently had a lot of friends there. 2 of them decided they were going to film and take a lot of pictures. They were sitting in the row in front of the seat I moved from about 4 seats over. I had had enoughmof the distraction and got up, moved 5 seats in past the pole to them and asked them to stop as it was a distraction, rude and you are not allowed to use cameras in theaters.they stopped.

Just give the world Love.

VintageSnarker
#51The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/16/17 at 2:15pm

uncageg said: "Vintage, I kind of understood Patrick's upset. Back then there were nowhere near as many gay bars asnthere are now. They were a special place. I suppose he was thinking more about legacy and having a place for gay people to comgregate.Even though Wes tells them about some things to come, Patrick was still in the 70's. Back then we were not that optimistic that things would advance the way they have in the gay community.

That's a valid explanation. But I do still think it's a flaw of the book to set up a conflict where there isn't one and avoid answering the question of what exactly Wes (and presumably other millennials) are supposed to do with this new appreciation for community and history... and also in the face of this political climate and the lack of progress. For example, Wes could have just told Patrick that there already are gay bars all over the country and organizations doing good work to promote LGBT causes. But then that would have opened the door to ask the questions that go unanswered in this show... instead of just having Wes sing a song to win Patrick back... which is ultimately meaningless because, oh, right, he's a ghost. Patrick inspires Wes to get off the hook up apps and want a meaningful relationship but by the end there's no real resolution there. I guess what I'm saying is Wes' journey seems to be from someone who wants to build something but is acting from a place of exhaustion and desperation to someone who wants to build something "real" acting from a place of hope and inspiration. I didn't see a big shift and taking that extra step to explain how he'd build a community or work past the superficial or use his fashion skills or find a meaningful relationship would have helped. Instead we get a second police officer so Wes can go off on a dramatic rant and then a fashion show that doesn't explain anything.

broadwaygirl89
#52The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/17/17 at 12:33am

haterobics said: "broadwaygirl89 said: "For those of you who have rushed this, what time did you get to the theater? Do you think getting there the hour before curtain is fine or have people been lining up beforehand?"

I showed up at 9:59 for a 10p Saturday show, the box office guy ran and told them to hold the show a minute, then came back and sold me a ticket, there were a lot of empty seats... a bit atypical.

"

Thanks for the insight! Got there around 5:40/5:45 today and was third in line. The pair in front of me got 3 tickets total and my friend and I ended up with B16-18. There were maybe 2-3 people behind me in line.

I'm so happy I was able to see it before it closes!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#53The View Upstairs Cast Recording
Posted: 8/11/17 at 12:30am

It is available now. Just downloaded it and listening. Have really been looking forward to this release.

So far it is sounding good. Mr. Pope sounds much better on the recording than he did the afternoon I saw it.

Just give the world Love.