pixeltracker

"Hello, Dolly" 2017 Cast Recording- Page 8

"Hello, Dolly" 2017 Cast Recording

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#175Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 6/2/17 at 1:26pm

SmokeyLady, some of us who are veterans of the board have actually created bonds and developed admiration for certain posters. I have often commented on bk's posts, not sure what part of it you saw as ass kissing or what you think I have to win by allegedly kissing bk's ass, a record contract? I don't think so. Luckily bk has reading comprehension skills, unlike you.

Also, the thread had already been bumped. I listened to the album the night before and felt compelled to comment after reading other critiques. And actually I've mostly stopped posting on this board because inept mother f*ck e r s like you have simply ruined what used to be a board filled with intelligent voices who taught me so much. I joined this board when I was 18, and I stayed because people like bk, like PalJoey, like MichaelBennett, like MargoChanning shared such a wealth of great knowledge and history, and I was thrilled I could engage with people like that. And yes, express my respect and admiration. Maybe your generation thinks of that as ass-kissing. For some of us, it's called gratitude and enthusiasm and good will. Now, kindly, f*ck off. Thank you.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#176Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 6/2/17 at 1:33pm

ray-andallthatjazz86 said: "SmokeyLady, some of us who are veterans of the board have actually created bonds and developed admiration for certain posters. I have often commented on bk's posts, not sure what part of it you saw as ass kissing or what you think I have to win by allegedly kissing bk's ass, a record contract? I don't think so. Luckily bk has reading comprehension skills, unlike you.

Also, the thread had already been bumped. I listened to the album the night before and felt compelled to comment after reading other critiques. And actually I've mostly stopped posting on this board because inept mother f*ck e r s like you have simply ruined what used to be a board filled with intelligent voices who taught me so much. I joined this board when I was 18, and I stayed because people like bk, like PalJoey, like MichaelBennett, like MargoChanning shared such a wealth of great knowledge and history, and I was thrilled I could engage with people like that. And yes, express my respect and admiration. Maybe your generation thinks of that as ass-kissing. For some of us, it's called gratitude and enthusiasm and good will. Now, kindly, f*ck off. Thank you.

"

You are ass kissing again.  And you cursed.  Which I think is a silly violation on this board.  I have read your comments before.   You knew exactly what you were doing.   Kissing ass.  Thank you.

Jed2
#177Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 6/2/17 at 8:04pm

Apologies. It was my fault for bumping the thread. I'm a big fan of this current Dolly album and saw a new article where the producer explained his process and thought it would be of interest to the discussion. I did not think it would turn into the West Side Story Rumble. Again, sorry for opening a can of worms and hopefully all Dolly albums can one day peacefully coexist...

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#178Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 6/2/17 at 9:51pm

Perfect example of the petty arguments of the board Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording

I hated this album on first listen, but second go around I loved it! Probably my new favorite version of the score. DHP especially delivers, I love love loved "Penny in My Pocket," such a fun number. And Gavin/Kate are sensational.

I actually thought that more effort was made than in most recent albums to add some reverb. Granted I thought it sounded pretty artificial and took me out a bit, but to say it goes for that sterile sound common today rings a tad untrue. But of course bk is a professional in the field and I am strictly a layperson.

Wanted to also share these pictures of the places the great cast albums of yesteryear were recorded back in the day. The reason a lot of old albums had such a great open sound was that they actually recorded in HUGE rooms that simulated the wide open halls of a theatre.

CBS 30th Street Studio (Where Columbia recorded a lot of its albums)

Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording

RCA Victor's Webster Hall (where the original DOLLY album was done)

Compare to the recording studios they use today (pictured is Kinky Boots, the new Dolly was likely recorded in a similar fashion):

I will say that Bette doesn't deliver on every number, sometimes she sounds TIRED. Would be interested to know what order her numbers were recorded in because on some you can tell it was late in the sessions.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Zamedy154
#179Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/17 at 7:54am

I think she sounds great throughout. I'm curious what songs/parts of songs you think she sounds 'tired.'

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#180Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 6/4/17 at 8:06pm

Jed2 said: "Apologies. It was my fault for bumping the thread. I'm a big fan of this current Dolly album and saw a new article where the producer explained his process and thought it would be of interest to the discussion. I did not think it would turn into the West Side Story Rumble. Again, sorry for opening a can of worms and hopefully all Dolly albums can one day peacefully coexist..."

Jed2, no need to apologize. I do apologize for taking SmokeyLady's bait, though, I know better than to succumb to trolling. And maybe I went too harsh on the album itself. I was expecting to be blown away and I wasn't. This happened with the new recording of THE KING & I, which I now love. I'll be seeing the production with Donna Murphy in July and then again with Midler in the fall, so I'll revisit the album and the positive comments on this thread then. 

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"