pixeltracker

CFA now the favorite for Tony?- Page 7

CFA now the favorite for Tony?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#150CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/7/17 at 7:42am

JudyDenmark said: "...I can't actually believe I need to say this, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying melodic music. When I think about the scores that have most positively affected me over the years, it's usually a melody (and probably the vocal arranging, let's be real) that makes me truly fall in love with a piece of music."

yes

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#151CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/7/17 at 8:04am

I need a cigarette. 

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#152CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/7/17 at 8:05am

I think CFA will take book. I'd be thrilled if they got musical

. I also think it will tour well and that will influence out of town Tony voters.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#153CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/7/17 at 8:35am

qolbinau said: "...we need pieces like CFA to stop spreading a myth that there is nothing wrong with religious belief systems such as Islam, Christianity or Judaism."

I'm struggling to understand why you feel that Come From Away supports the idea that "there is nothing wrong" with such religions. The subject matter of the show addresses the 9/11 attacks, which certainly didn't paint a positive picture of Muslims in the eyes of the world and caused many (including some characters in the show) to adopt the notion that all who claim to be Muslim are bad. It then goes on to depict real-life scenarios in which such over-generalizations caused harm to innocent people, and other characters subsequently learned that not everyone in a particular cultural subset is accurately represented by the actions of their peers.

I do not disagree with you that a considerable amount of the world's ills are caused by religion, including the fostering of hate and inhumanity towards LGBT people, women, and other minorities who lack political power in many places. I also agree that the corresponding rule books for many religions do represent such intolerant behavior as a moral imperative of that faith.

Personally, I feel that those who follow their rule books are the true believers (and I also think they're nuts), while those who selectively apply the rules of their claimed religion are essentially heretics.

For example, let's suppose that I claim to be a follower of The Sacred Church of Broadway, and the book on which my religion is based teaches that attendance at an off-Broadway show is a sin. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with off-Broadway shows, so I reject that rule as unreasonable and doing so allows me to rationalize my going to off-Broadways shows. At this point, I can no longer truthfully call myself a follower of The Sacred Church of Broadway because I do not accept the tenets of that faith. I may still believe in some spiritual concept, but I have now created my own unique religion that is something other than The Sacred Church of Broadway.

Ironically, the faux-believers are the ones who suffer when the "all ____ are bad" mentality arises after incidents in which true believers act on their faith (however ridiculously misguided it may be). I don't understand why this doesn't compel the faux-believers to renounce that faith to which they truly do not subscribe. It does not benefit them to pretend to be something they're not.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage