pixeltracker

sister act - 'when i find my baby'

sister act - 'when i find my baby'

drew288
#1sister act - 'when i find my baby'
Posted: 8/7/18 at 11:21pm

Is this song from 'Sister Act' super problematic in a school setting? I have colleagues who think so. Personally, I think its over-the-top misogyny essentially neuters it. This is a cartoon character who doesn't get close to acting on the actions described (comically) in the song. Am I wrong about this? Is there a better way to express what I'm trying to say about it?

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#2Sister Act - 'When I Find My Baby'
Posted: 8/8/18 at 1:18am

I think it depends on what age you are talking about performing this show. I mean, it does talk about sex, alcohol, and various methods to kill someone. 

BUT when done well, the song should be over the top and cartoonish as you mention, and the choreography for the thugs (aka the backup singers) goes a long way in conveying the humor of it because there is such a stark contrast between the dark words being sung, the tone of the song, and the actions of the actors. Personally, I think it would be fine for high schoolers to perform. 

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#3Sister Act - 'When I Find My Baby'
Posted: 8/9/18 at 6:07pm

loliveve said: " BUT when done well, the song should be over the top and cartoonish as you mention, and the choreography for the thugs (aka the backup singers) goes a long way in conveying the humor of it because there is such a stark contrast between the dark words being sung, the tone of the song, and the actions of the actors. Personally, I think it would be fine for high schoolers to perform.  "

Agree with all this, and would just add that lots of high schools do Damn Yankees, which has similar over-the-top dark humor in "Those were the good old days".  Most disney movies for children have a blatantly-evil villain type who sings about their evil ways (or someone else does - Cruella de Vil, Friends on the Other Side, Poor Unfortunate Souls, etc.), so the idea of a villain singing a song about their villainy is something most kids will have been exposed to already. 

And in Sister Act specifically, as in the aforementioned Disney movies, the villain is vanquished by sisterhood and love, not celebrated.  I don't see why it should be objectionable to do the show in a high school.

Videos