pixeltracker

TOOTSIE - Chicago tryout- Page 13

TOOTSIE - Chicago tryout

MadsonMelo
#300Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 10/14/18 at 1:34am

BalconyClub said: "MadsonMelo said: "I will try the lottery.

If I don't win, seems Dress Circle R LL6 and Dress Circle Left EE1 are good options, better than balcony.

Any opinion on the view?
"

Hello MadsonMelo,

Tonight, I headed up to dress circle before the performance and tested out your two seats.

R LL 6has a more centered view of the stage, but there are a few speakers hanging in yourway. Though the speakers would not block your view of any of the show itself, a smidgen of the top of the grand red traveler curtain is blocked.

L EE 1 has a much better view of the red curtain as well as being a great perch to people watch. Yet, a hint of one upstage corner will be missed.

I like L EE1 as it will also offers views of sets before they are rolled into place. This seat also allows you to see some of the lighting in action, which I find exciting.

But you will probably instead win the easy lottery.
"

You were right, I won the lottery!

thanks!

JBC3
#301Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 10/14/18 at 8:22am

"nobody truly identifies as bisexual"

Say what?

MadsonMelo
#302Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 10/14/18 at 9:11pm

I LOVED IT!

Its such a classic comedy musical, and a its a well done one.

The Book is greatly updated, the score is very good, maybe not for the ballads, but the upbeat numbers are great.

The direction really fits the musical and Ellis created many amazing moments.

The supporting cast is amazing, I can see already Tony noms for the actors playing Sandy and the hot one.

And what can be said about Santino fontana? Just downright PERFECTION! From start to finish, it’s a very demanding role and he gives it all.

I thought the ending was really beautiful, my main problem it’s the red dress and wig reveal lacked impact. Otherwise, really great!

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#303Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 10/15/18 at 12:56am

I was extremely happy with my seat (a lottery win). I was at the very back of the house by the sound board, center of the house. I was worried that I might have a balcony seat (I don't do well with heights) and when I saw where the seat actually was on the seating chart, I was worried that there might be obstruction from the mezzanine overhang.

None of that was true, and I couldn't have been more pleased with the view. In fact, I would recommend Row X to anyone seeing any show at the Cadillac Palace. Excellent view, plus the perk of being able to drape your coat on the seat back (because there's no one behind you). ...and only $27.00!!

Everything's already been said about the show itself. So many funny lines and farcical bits of physical comedy. The only thing I strongly disagree with is that IMO, the ending is PERFECT! I loved it.

I loved it so much because it's not an ending - it's a beginning, and it's a very tentative beginning at that. The softer underscoring, and Julie's brief line to Michael that opens a door of hope for him was the perfect close of the show. I thought it was similar to the ending of Sweet Charity. You aren't 100% sure Charity's going to find love (there's even a literal question mark used), but there's a palpable sense of hope.

Although it's a very enjoyable show, I still feel that the movie is superior. Because of the addition of the music, and the change in the character of Julie, there isn't enough time to show how Michael changes to become the "better man as a woman" he speaks of at the end of the show. As a result, the audience is told via the dialogue (mostly by Jeff) what there isn't time to show via the character's actions.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Julie's character in the musical is a much stronger character; more in line with Michael's characteristics and temperaments.

I don't find that Dorothy really helps Julie to grow in any way, like she does for the Julie character in the movie. In the musical, Dorthy effects more change on the growth of the show she's in, rather than the character of Julie.

That discovery really changes the relationship dynamic between her and Michael.

Conversely, the musical version of Julie doesn't change Michael in any way (not like Julie does in the movie). In the movie, Julie models what it means to be tender (with both her father and Amy), which Michael is forced to practice (as Dorothy) and demonstrate with Julie and Amy, and even Julie's father to an extent.

The musical version of Julie has no need or opportunity for that kind of tenderness, so Michael never learns to be tender in that way (which is the quality he is most sorely lacking in his working relationships, as well as how he treats women in general). 

...but enough about the movie! The character of Max (John Behlmann) was my absolute favorite!! He stole the show for me!

I wasn't that impressed with the score. I can't remember a single song, and I don't have that "I can't wait for the OBC to be released!" feeling I've had with other shows. There were two chord, though, that the ensemble sings (I can't remember the song or why they were singing it... They sang them at the end of the song and their hands were in the air) that were really lush! (thick harmony). I want to hear those chords again! Also, some of the melody lines had some interesting turns. 

What the show lacks in character development it makes up for in humor. Funny, funny line deliveries and Easter eggs... There's a very specific choreography Easter egg, followed by Ron's song about Fosse and choreography moves that make a musical - Hysterical! The only move he forgot to include was the "double shampoo".

In spite of 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#304Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 10/15/18 at 10:25am

"nobody truly identifies as bisexual" 

Say what?

I was speaking of the characters within the book of the musical.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian