pixeltracker

What movie would you like to see adapted for Broadway?- Page 2

What movie would you like to see adapted for Broadway?

Bwaydreamer3 Profile Photo
Bwaydreamer3
#25What movie would you like to see adapted for Broadway?
Posted: 6/14/19 at 12:51am

I just saw Rocketman a few days ago and I have been unable to stop thinking about it since. I thought the way they went about telling Elton's story was genius and the new arrangements lend itself well for adapting it to the stage. Not to mention the amazing costumes and music. I really hope it happens! 

Patty3
#26What movie would you like to see adapted for Broadway?
Posted: 6/14/19 at 8:56am

Wale up Disney!!! Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Great parts for leading actress and actor. Incorporate magic like Harry Potter. All around great family show and will attract those who remember the movie. Great songs like Age of Not Believing, Portobello Road.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#27What movie would you like to see adapted for Broadway?
Posted: 6/14/19 at 9:17am

I'd love to see an adaptation of Heart and Souls, with perhaps a score by Shaiman, who also composed the score for the film.  I also think a long-forgotten film, Too Many Crooks, the inspiration for the 80s comedy classic, Ruthless People, would make for a fun show.  And I don't care what anyone else thinks, I would LOVE a production of My Best Friend's Wedding that would incorporate songs used in the film.

Every time we have one of these threads and people get snippy about movie adaptations I wonder - is a movie adaptation necessarily worse than an adaptation from a book, or even a play

No, it's not.  People just like to complain.  Personally, I'm not fond of attempting to dictate what should/should not be produced on Broadway.  If it's something you don't want to see, then don't see it.  If it's something nobody wants to see, it will close.  If it's a hit, why begrudge anyone from enjoying it?  And stopping movie/jukebox musicals from being produced doesn't necessarily equate to more musicals with original books/scores appearing on Broadway each season, or more importantly, that they will be better, or even good at all.

Wale up Disney!!! Bedknobs and Broomsticks. 

The Chicago Shakespeare Theatre had originally planned a production of Bedknobs and Broomsticks for this spring.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

romain2
#28What movie would you like to see adapted for Broadway?
Posted: 6/14/19 at 9:25am

I’m not as sure about Rocketman. Most of the film is him battling his various addictions and so it’s pretty much like every movie biopic out there. It’s a mopey downer for much of its running time. But yes the musical numbers are good.

If they did adapt it for the stage I’d want them to add more of an arc. Have him finally find love and self-acceptance in Act 2. The movie reduces the happier later part of his life to an end title card. As it is now it’s just a lot of scenes of him crying and feeling miserable.

And I would ask for his great, possibly career best 1980s song I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues to have a number all its own. Not just a snippet randomly and awkwardly and abruptly placed in a chronologically suspect scene set in the late 60s.

DCDrama2
#29What movie would you like to see adapted for Broadway?
Posted: 6/14/19 at 9:39am

10 Things I Hate About You.

Nostalgia evoking teen high school comedy based on Shakespeare. I mean, it hits all the current commercial boxes for an investor and it's just damn good too.