Funny Girl revival?

Owen22
#25Funny Girl revival?
Posted: 6/25/21 at 10:45pm

JBroadway said: "Owen22 said: "JBroadway said: "^Might be worth noting that Michael Mayer directed the recent London revival, which had multiple extended runs over the course of several years."

Which was not very good. It look like Community Theater!
"

Is that a widely-held belief? I actually don't know. I saw the show at the Menier, and my big issue with the staging was that Mayer seemed to have staged the whole production with the West End end transfer in mind, instead of staging it for the space he was actually in. So everything felt like a cramped, shrunk-down version. I always assumed that the revival would have played much better at the Savoy and beyond, but I don't really remember anyone's comments about it.Most of the discussion surrounded Sheridan Smith (for better or for worse), which is to be expected with any production of Funny Girl - it's not the sort of show where the director needs to shine through in a noticeable way.

But in any case, I just thought it was worth mentioning because the phrasing of BCfitasafiddle's comment made it sound like they weren't aware that Mayer had just directed the show. I might have misinterpreted the post (and if so, I apologize to BCfitasafiddle!), but I figured it was worth throwing out there just in case.
"

I saw it at the Menier as well, never in the West End.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#26Funny Girl revival?
Posted: 6/26/21 at 8:41am

fosterfan2 said: "I know this sounds stupid,but I'm assuming you mean Idina?"

He referenced a film career.  Idina doesn’t have one.  She appears in films, she doesn’t star in them.  Nicole Kidman has a film career.  Idina Menzel does not.  

Dollypop
#27Funny Girl revival?
Posted: 6/26/21 at 9:24am

People are forgetting how awkward the stage version of FUNNY GIRL is. Like CAMELOT, it has a great score but a plodding book.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)