Pasek & Paul's Oregon Trail

ScarletSongs Profile Photo
ScarletSongs
#1Pasek & Paul's Oregon Trail
Posted: 10/6/22 at 3:24am

Tony and Academy Award-winning songwriting duo, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, are currently developing a musical film adaptation of the popular computer game series, The Oregon Trail.

Full Article

This seems so lazy to me since there's already the musical parody "The Trail to Oregon" by StarKid. And I wouldn't call myself a fan of StarKid shows (I like some of the songs but parts of it are always too campy for my personal taste) but for Pasek & Paul to make a ripp off of the idea to turn that specific video game into a musical... That doesn't seem very creative. 

Updated On: 10/6/22 at 03:24 AM

SidebySidebyLogan Profile Photo
SidebySidebyLogan
#2Pasek & Paul's Oregon Trail
Posted: 10/6/22 at 9:15am

Ok I'm not a huge P&P fan but people adapt the same material all the time. 2 Wild Party musicals, 2 Phantom musicals, how many Cinderellas? Listen to the end product and then decide but saying StarKid did it so it's off the table forever is dumb

ScarletSongs Profile Photo
ScarletSongs
#3Pasek & Paul's Oregon Trail
Posted: 10/7/22 at 4:09am

SidebySidebyLogan said: "saying StarKid did it so it's off the table forever is dumb"

I never said that. I was just surprised that they are the second creative team that adapts this specific source material of all things. It's very niche. I mean, when was the last time a video game got adapted into a musical? And then a video game from that era?

And I'm aware there have been multiple adaptions of the same source material in the past. I'm not surprised that there is another adaption of "Some like it hot" on the way since it's still a famous and beloved movie and as long as people remember Marilyn Monroe it will probably stay that way. 

For them to choose this specific video game however seems a little bit strange to me. But maybe that's just me.

Btw, I also never said that it won't be good. I don't know where you got that from. It could turn out worse, just as good or better than StarKid's version and I hope for everyone involved it will be the latter. Only time will tell.