pixeltracker

Black Superhero - Royal Court cancellations

Black Superhero - Royal Court cancellations

kb87
#1Black Superhero - Royal Court cancellations
Posted: 4/3/23 at 3:13pm

Does anyone know the details of the Black Superhero cancelled performances? The Royal Court's silence and erasure of the show from its digital & social marketing, of late, has been extremely atypical and a marked departure from standard industry practice, where (even if transparency isn't an option) a canned line is always to hand to explain away speculation or indignant complaints. Despite dates being pulled from sale weeks in advance, customers were notified of performance cancellations 2 hours before the performance starts, EVERY night for a period of a fortnight. No explanation was issued.

Now, the playwright Danny Lee Wynter, who was also the show's lead, has withdrawn from the cast, citing "personal issues". A source, strangely from fintech but whose angel funds have led to the theatre's redevelopment with investor shares in select commissions and own-pros, shared with me that there'd been tension about the show opening post-previews and talk of continuing development into its public run. Allegedly there had been issues between an unnamed party and the Court and this, in part, prompted Wynter's decision to part following an obligated 2 week notice and the appointment of a replacement. This apparently had not been a consequence of delays, but rather necessitated (and raised) early on and the theatre was unable to resolve the situation between themselves and the creatives. The Court had held the announcement back until today but apparently today is not the first it's been heard of, with word travelling from the creatives.

It's...a lot from the Royal Court. And has landed remarkably quietly amidst Oliviers and For The Black Boys' incredibly successful transfer. And it's very out of character, for them at least. WHAT ON EARTH could have happened?

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#2Black Superhero - Royal Court cancellations
Posted: 4/3/23 at 3:20pm

Not a lot on Theatreboard, other than frustration.  Black Superhero - Royal Court | TheatreBoard

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#3Black Superhero - Royal Court cancellations
Posted: 4/3/23 at 3:32pm

Unfortunately, racism is involved. 

Also, there is at least a dozen posts on their IG about it promoting it. So, not sure where the erasure is happening. 

Updated On: 4/3/23 at 03:32 PM

kb87
#4Black Superhero - Royal Court cancellations
Posted: 4/3/23 at 3:41pm

@Sutton Ross Not since 23 March...which was press night. They've completely pivoted marketing focus to For The Boys, which absolutely makes sense if they know performances wouldn't be going ahead for the forseeable and had another play's transfer which WOULD be opening to audiences.

It's all really sad. I've heard Wynter's relationship with the Court goes back decades and they were the only theatre he considered to commission a production of the new work. 

Updated On: 4/3/23 at 03:41 PM

kb87
#5Black Superhero - Royal Court cancellations
Posted: 4/3/23 at 3:46pm

Sutton Ross said: "Unfortunately, racism is involved."

What had you heard in relation to this? 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#6Black Superhero - Royal Court cancellations
Posted: 4/3/23 at 4:07pm

Royal Court site: BLACK SUPERHERO - Royal Court (royalcourttheatre.com)

It is with deep regret we have to announce that due to personal circumstances, Danny Lee Wynter has taken the difficult decision to withdraw from performing the role of David in BLACK SUPERHERO. The role of David will now be played by Lewis Brown.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#7Black Superhero - Royal Court cancellations
Posted: 4/3/23 at 5:18pm

Fuller statement:

Danny Lee Wynter to exit Black Superhero – production to continue | WestendTheatre.com

"It is my wish to one day return to the role in some incarnation or other, but in the meantime I give this wonderful company, along with all of the stage managers who’ve worked so tirelessly, my full blessing and support as they continue to come together to present my debut play to you all through till April 29th. I would urge you to do the same. Their work is too vivid and vital to be slept on. I will see you again one day soon.”

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#8Black Superhero - Royal Court cancellations
Posted: 4/3/23 at 5:22pm

March 26th was the last post about the positive reviews, actually.

They'll continue with the show until it was supposed to end later this month with a new actor but the entire thing is all unfortunate and messy.