News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ggersten

ggersten Profile Photo
Member Name: ggersten
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: theatreflats.blogspot.com
Blog Address: http://theatreflats.blogspot.com

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

West End Comings & Goings
 Jul 26 2024, 07:01:26 PM

I "think" Two Strangers would do well in the US - it's sweet enough - but, it really depends on the actors. Tutty was great but we had the first understudy for Robin (she was replaced about two weeks ago) and she was just, in my opinion, not good enough and not on the same level with Tutty. As a result, the show didn't take off like it was constructed to do. Since the plot has many holes/unexplained or curious motivations and actions, it really is dependent on those performe

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
 Jul 26 2024, 02:51:04 PM

New TV Spot:

Brendan Fraser & Andrew Scott to star in film adaptation of David Haig WWII play PRESSURE
 Jul 22 2024, 05:24:51 PM

Can Scott do a convincing Scottish accent?

Pocahontas needs to be a broadway musical!
 Jul 19 2024, 05:27:57 PM

Of course, there is Marla Mindele's interpretation of "Colors of the Wind"

Pocahontas needs to be a broadway musical!
 Jul 18 2024, 10:32:01 AM

BwayLB said: "I would only see if it’s more historically accurate"

When Mel Gibson was questioned about the historical accuracy of Disney's Pocahontas, he replied "There's a talking tree." 

10th anniversary of Heathers
 Jul 16 2024, 04:11:52 PM

You can watch the London version on Roku.  

James Graham's DEAR ENGLAND coming to Broadway Spring 2024, dir. Rupert Goold? (casting notice)
 Jul 10 2024, 05:14:44 PM

The Southgate story continues to be written though Euro2024 - with England now through to the finals - living on the edge, penalty kicks - just a dream for a Producer! (if this still were coming to Broadway)

Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
 Jul 2 2024, 08:04:59 PM

I presume there may be Actors Equity issues for bringing the full UK cast over. 

TWO STRANGERS musical eyeing Broadway?
 Jul 1 2024, 07:07:44 PM

We are not a rave, but then we had an understudy for Robin and that made a big difference. 

The material just isn't strong enough without two charismatic leads. The script has a whole mess of holes and character actions that don't make much sense. But, it can be charming - and we enjoyed it despite the Robin we saw. So, a transfer could be difficult. 

What to see next week- West End
 Jun 30 2024, 04:26:16 AM

Dynamic pricing is very active for N2N and Sky’s Edge. 
Many west end musicals performed at West End Live if you want a preview!  All on youtube! 

Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
 Jun 22 2024, 07:55:52 PM

Saw it evening of 22 June. Cast did West End Live then the matinee and still were on fire for the evening performance. 

This was beyond fabulous - just everyone was so so good - basically flawless. You can't just compliment one, because they were all terrific. The voices were so clear and laden with emotion. The staging was creative. The lighting was excellent. The sound mix was very good (apparently there were issues the first few previews). I don't know how they can brin

London/West End in July
 Jun 22 2024, 07:45:18 PM

People Places & Things. - Awesome production. Awesome performance. 

Two Strangers Carry A Cake Across New York - Sam Tutty was fabulous. However, we had the understudy for Robin, and she just was not on the same level. She lacked nuance and sense of character. Felt like she was doing her lines and not reacting honestly to Tutty's Dougal. Enjoyed hte show, but could have enjoyed it more.

Next To Normal. OMG - this was beyond fabulous. A can't miss. I wish I could

Tom Holland Will Star in ROMEO & JULIET in London's West End
 Jun 20 2024, 01:03:31 PM

I walked by the (controlled) mob scene outside the theatre last night as hundreds (it seemed - well definitely at least 100) were lined up behind barricades waiting for Holland to come out into a waiting car whose door was open. It was not as chaotic as I experienced seeing David Tennant in Richard II, only because there were more security people around to control the crowd. it was quite the scene! I would have stopped to take a video, but was being asked to pass through quickly. 

London/West End in July
 Jun 20 2024, 07:33:12 AM

London Tide - Lyttleton Theatre - (ends 22 June) - Having no familiarity with Our Mutual Friend or PJ Harvey, I quite enjoyed this. Ok - the songs seem superfluous. The cast is mostly excellent actors - not singers. The staging is very simple - other than creative use of light riggings to simulate waves and some other bits. The plot is full of contrivances and social commentary. Lots and lots of narration. 4 Stars.

Kathy & Stella Solve a Murder - a trifle. It maintains - for good and bad - its Fringe origins. I didn't think the songs were particularly memorable or witty (there were some clever bits, though). Think Romy & Michele crossed with Only Murders in the Building (Second Season), and you have a rough idea of the show. If you go, I would not not sit closer than Row G (not sure the 20 GBP for first row is worth the neck issues) or further than row M in the stalls (the overhang blocks). The stage is insanely high. Photograph below from Twitter. Also, the sound is very loud for such a small theatre (the Ambassadors) and the sound mix fails too often - It probably does not need amplification even with the on-stage band London Tide didn't use amplification for the much larger Lyttleton. 3.5 stars from me. If you are at a loss and want to see something, you could do a lot worse It is a pleasant entertaining show, but not a "must see". 

https://x.com/theatreflats/status/1803727578374479962

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 15 2024, 05:32:23 PM

stagepotato said: "kennin said: "It is being reported that Broadway press is being shut out of the red carpet Julie James has it posted in her instagram story.

https://pagesix.com/2024/06/14/entertainment/broadway-press-shut-out-of-the-tony-awards-red-carpet/amp/
"

I’ve seen a handful of influencers on instagram post about going to the rehearsals. I’m assuming they’ll be invited to the actual event too. I personally would rather see Julie James go over influencers. But that’s just me
"

Decision has been reversed and James will be on the Red Carpet. not clear if that extends to BWW's Richard Ridge, but I presume it does. 

SCHMIGADOON! to play Kennedy Center
 Jun 14 2024, 10:00:50 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "This is going to be pure ear p*rn."  More likely, "corn puddin'"

Titanic at City Center
 Jun 12 2024, 11:12:28 PM

I think they should get Leonardo DiCaprio for the cameo!

My daughter who was there tonite (June 12) said they did announce Eisenberg prior to the show but he was not on the call board. So, not a complete surprise cameo. It would have been something had they announced "At this performance, the role of Man Missing the Boat will be played by Jesse Eisenberg" but apparently, the announcement used a character name. 

Titanic at City Center
 Jun 12 2024, 10:24:40 PM

So is the cameo (spoiled by a BWW video) going to be the same person every night? 

NY City Center Encores 2024 season: ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Sutton Foster (adapted by Amy Sherman-Palladino), JELLY'S LAST JAM, and TITANIC
 Jun 4 2024, 12:49:11 PM

From BWW's FB page - : https://fb.watch/su-G3m2PUY/

Next To Normal WEST END - News & Discussion Thread
 Jun 3 2024, 08:53:31 PM

Seeing it 22 June Evening. It's West End Live that day, but hopefully that does not affect the evening performance. Next to Normal will be participating in West End Live, but the date and time have not yet been announced. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You