MARY JANE Previews

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#50MARY JANE Previews
Posted: 5/5/24 at 7:49pm

I thought the same thing, I want to see her in another play. Carey Mulligan is another one I want back on stage. I hope Rachel is campaigning for the Tony.  Sarah seems like she would want it back, but I’m pulling for Rachel. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#51MARY JANE Previews
Posted: 5/5/24 at 8:12pm

I had no issue hearing the actors, though it is subtle sound design. Are they miked? It's actually my favorite type of sound design for a play or an old musical: it forces the audience to sit forward. This isn't IMAX.

I think it's a wonderful play, and McAdams is giving such a special performance. I don't remember Carrie Coon being nearly as warm as McAdams. Coon wore the tragedy on her sleeve a little more freely. McAdams' "positivity in the face of tragedy" is a difficult thing to play, and it would be easy to be weepy for the whole runtime (which would be miserable to sit through). I'd be totally fine with her winning over Paulson, through Appropriate may be riding momentum.

Updated On: 5/5/24 at 08:12 PM

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#52MARY JANE Previews
Posted: 5/5/24 at 8:21pm

My only issue with it is one loud cough could swallow an entire line.  My audience had scattered coughs throughout which is dread.